Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,876   Online: 1148

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's available matte dark red paper will catch stray light and bounce back red light for easier seeing. This doesn't help any in a color darkroom.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I have the Saunders LPL 4550XLG/VCCE enlarger which is also a known light leaker. In my opinion there are two kinds of light leaks with this enlarger. The same thinking may apply to yours. There are leaks that also have hot air coming out. These are cooling vents that also leak light. When first trying to address these I unwisely taped them off. In a very short time the light bulb burned out. A new bulb and a spare had to be ordered at some expense of time and money from 500 miles away. After that mistake I tried to direct the light away from the easel using fabricated baffles pointing the light toward the walls or ceiling which as has been mentioned were painted flat black. The other leaks could be taped over with gaffer tape. As you may know the advantage of gaffer tape is that it can later be removed without leaving residue. Hope these ideas help with your situation.

John Powers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of the fundamental laws of photography is that all enlargers leak light. My Omega DII leaks like a sieve. My old Durst F60 was only marginally better.

As others have suggested, start by painting the wall behind the enlarge with flat black paint. Also the ceiling over the enlarger. It may also be helpful to erect walls on either side of the enlarge (painted black) to contain the leaks.

Also, fiddle with the enlarger to see if you can make some of the leaks go away simply by the way that things fit together. Don't block ventilation holes, but do make sure that the negative tray and filter drawer fit in snugly. It may help to make cardboard flaps that can be taped over fittings that leak while still allowing the fittings to serve their intended purpose.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is interesting to compare the light the enlarger leaks to the light that bounces off the paper and all around the darkroom when the enlarger is on. Put a scrap sheet of glossy paper in the easel, turn the enlarger on and step back and look at the (not so) dark room. Now cap or block the lens and the enlarger's leaks don't seem to amount to much any more.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 06-11-2009 at 01:04 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use my D2 (DII? - I've never looked to see which one I have) with 35mm, 6mm square, and 4x5.
    In all cases, with Omega neg holders, I have stray light, either from between the neg holder plates, or between the holder and the bottom of my Aristo V54 head, or often both. It doesn't matter whether film extends out beyond the edges of the holder or not.
    To block the leak between holder and light head, I slide down an old black terry cloth head sweat band and snug it to the top of the neg holder, but I've never figured out a convenient way to block the crack where light comes from between the two holder plates. Anyone have a solution for this? Something that doesn't have to be applied every time the neg is changed?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin