Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 722

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Multigrade Warmtone, old and new?

I recently for the first time bought a box of the Multigrade Warmtone. I found it pleasing and bought another. But was very surprised to find that the paper in the next boxes was very different from the first. One was warmtone, the other was extreme warmtone.

As far as I can see the two boxes have sligthly different labels and the very warm paper came from the older box But I don't remember reading anything on this rather dramatic change. Is my box of very warm Warmtone Multigrade a rare mistake or did Ilford some years ago introduce a new paper under the same name - and did they forget to tell us about it?

j-fr

www.j-fr.dk

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _MG_8013.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had the same experience with two boxes of paper in November 2008. It appears Ilford changed the surface from a creamy tone to a lesser creamy tone.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    That is definitely true. The older stuff was warmer based. Now Oriental has gone the other way making their paper much warmer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is the newer warmtone paper on a white base?

Tom,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes Tom, newer WT paper is on a white base now...
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andrew,

Have you compared it with Adox Premium Variotone?

Tom.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    Yes Tom, newer WT paper is on a white base now...
    Exactly what I wouldn't want in a warmtone paper. It's a pity, because from all reports the Multigrade Warmtone is excellent stuff.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tom, I have not compared it to Variotone.... I have some variotone to try, but I do understand it has a white base aswell. My most used paper at this point is FOMA Variant 123. It's a velvet matt paper very similar to Agfa MCC118 but has a slight cream base. It is more neutral than the MG WT '131' eumlsion, but tones down nicely with sepia/selenium.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is very easy to turn the bright white paper into a warm creamy color. Just a quick bath in black tea will do it. The new formulation Oriental WT is interesting because though it has a much creamier warmer base on the emulsion side, it is just as bright white on the back paper side. The warmer creamier color must come from coloring the clay or something. PE suggested that.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I find the new WT the paper the old never was. Now you can print many more images on the somewhat more white new base and not have them leap out at you are jaundiced. I have been seriously impressed with the new stuff and to my eyes the paper appeared to have more surface sheen than when I last used it about five years ago.

A GREAT move by Ilford IMO.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin