Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,202   Posts: 1,531,595   Online: 1172

View Poll Results: Do you crop your prints?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 72.06%
  • No, I print full frame

16 23.53%
  • No, I print full frame with negative borders

3 4.41%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When I first take the photo, I try to get as close to "full frame" as I can. Then later when I print, I will crop as needed. I do this for 35mm and 120 film. When shooting large format, I will be contract printing, so I just try my best to go "full frame" all the way through. It has nothing to do with any philosophy for or against cropping. For example, if I really missed the mark with the 8x10, I have no problem cutting the print down to 5x7 (cropping by chopping?). I'm not a purist, I'm a pragmatist. Whatever works within the confines of the medium and tools.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That's why they make chocolate and vanilla ice cream! Personally I like both he he.

I try and do everything in the camera, but sometimes it's just not possible. There are other times I have made a great print from a neg full frame and then someone comes along and says, hey why not crop it this way. And guess what, another great print from the same neg. Different people see things differently. Now if I totally didn't agree with their suggestion I would stick to my guns, but I'm open to constructive suggestions.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What EricR said..sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't.

It really isn't the be all, end all if something gets cropped..

Now for contact prints, I can see not cropping, at the very least..if we have to crop it may be a way telling us to slow down, there is not a deadline for most of us to produce and image..

Many of us just have a hurry up lifestyle that leads to cropping (I hope the full frame police don't read this)
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    35mm
    First, since I'm a 35mm user and like my photos in 24X30 cm format, I usually have no choice but to crop.

I've done some full frame negs in 30X40 cm paper and then trim so the finished print is 24x36cm.

Now, I try to avoid as much as possible unnecessary cropping (such as using a short lens for a distant subject).

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    i dont think we are talking about the elitism here. we are talking about the practice. i dont say that if u crop sometimes u dont know to compose, yes, sometimes it is very important to make a good crop even if it problematic. but imagine that there is a photographer that just take pictures and then in the darkroom creates them from the biggining. can we say about such photographer that he knows what he is doing in terms of proffessionalism and understanding and implamentation of the understanding. of course there are cases that u say on the street, just push the shutter, no time to go, to move etc. i was working on some "social portraits" not long time ago. u walk in those poor neibourhoods and u see things that can amaze u. mother hits her children, housband screams on her wife etc.. no time for "perfect composition" just scale the focus, approximate the exposure if needed and push the shutter. yes, in the darkroom u may crop it. but then i started to realize once again the importance of full frame. the plus point of those photos is that even th cropping is excusable when u capture such shocking moments.

Gotta say, I don't understand why the shocking moments are OK to crop, but not candid portraits. I don't sit a kid down on a stool in a studio and place his hands just so, etc. I photograph kids candidly in their own environment, and they are allowed to just carry on pretty much as usual -- playing, running, jumping on the bed, whatever. I do this almost entirely with 6x6 format, handheld, and manual focus. That in itself is rather challenging. But I will tell you that it is simply impossible and entirely impractical to wait for those shots you can successfully shoot full-frame. Can you imagine the moments you would miss? It would make for very disappointed clients and a very frustrated photographer....

cheryl, first of all i love your photos. second, yes i think that u can make without cropping. when i say cropping by the way, i dont mean to make 66 rectangular. i dont even mean to steal one mm from here or there. im talking about changing the picture. let us say.. if u make on your 66camera and say 60mm lense a picture and then crop it to look like the frame u would get from the 80mm or 120. by the way, im totally manual too.

read my comments if u want in the "etics/philosophy" - "zen", i hope i guide u correctly. i have some attitude that i express there, and if be helpfull to u than great.
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    second, yes i think that u can make without cropping. when i say cropping by the way, i dont mean to make 66 rectangular.
    Not to be argumentative....

No, some of the images I've made I simply could not have made without significant cropping -- yes, the sort that changes the image. I could not have done it any more than you could have photographed your "shocking" moments without cropping. The moment suddenly unfolds; if you recompose, even if to only step forward or backward and refocus, the moment is gone.

Oh, and thanks for the compliment.

well my dear, in that case im with u. the principle here is very simple... if u can do it than no excuses. and one must be very aware of what is going on. if u cannot - simply no way to make what u want and the moment is great etc, than crop of course. cheryl, i dont want u to have the impression that im talking here about deterministic perfection. it happens that i crop too though i dont like it. the point is not to get used to it. generaly, if u feel that u want to be concentrated on something then be closer any way or use longer lense if u dont want to make the place too crouded or u accept the percpective change of the long lense (by the way, when u crop that what happens exactly, but with reduced film area)
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Here's what I mean. This was a very, very fleeting moment. Only time to react, and I somehow managed to focus. No chance whatsoever of moving closer and getting the shot. This is a fairly significant crop.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin