Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,266   Online: 881

View Poll Results: Do you crop your prints?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 72.06%
  • No, I print full frame

16 23.53%
  • No, I print full frame with negative borders

3 4.41%
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

im with u here as well. the image is very veyr good. u are a really gifted photographer, have seen some other photos of yours. u know what it means to be good... = to make life sometimes hard in order to be better. a simple logic -if u are good that usually means that u can be even better. so why not.
    let me make it harder for a moment ant tell in aproximation what was the situation of this pic... the camera, the lense, your destance from the girl etc...
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Victor, sorry -- I can't even begin to remember the details of this shot. I can only tell you that it is a significant crop of a 6x6 neg, and that's about it.

ok,
    by the way cheryl, what paper do u use. cause from the images on your net it seems that they are balanced to one paper?
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I changed back and forth a bit, depending on the image and what is available at the time. Some or Ilford Warmtone (which I'm not crazy about.) Some are Bergger, some are Ilford Gallerie, a few are Forte. I always use Ultrablack developer, which helps the prints stay a bit more uniform than they might otherwise.

oh, tell me about forte, the warmtones one. i use the ilford warmtone when i want warmtone cause this is the only one in israel. how is the forte.
    i love very much the ilford mgw in bromophen, but it is good to know how it is (the forte) compared to ilf
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Given the highly spirited debate that is going on in another forum topic concerning cropping, and taking that into consideration along with the discussion here, I think we are overlooking a perfect opportunity to invent some new "photography terminology."

For example: if someone frames the image carefully in the viewfinder, this would be "Pre-cropping."

If one reframes the image in the darkroom, this would be "Post-cropping."

If the photographer changes the image by a different focal length lens, the lens could become a "crop circle." (Okay, a bit of a stretch - it's late)

And while some photographers may not give a crop, still others think their crops don't stink.

Who else will help me add to this glossary of terms?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Without a sense of humor, it's just not funny" - Wavy Gravy :upsidedo:
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    If the photographer changes the image by a different focal length lens, the lens could become a "crop circle." (Okay, a bit of a stretch - it's late)
    Nope - a crop circle is what happens when the lens doesn't have enough coverage for the film format. Like using a 105mm Xenar on 5x7" film - instant in-camera "crop circle"!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

ay ole, u r rite.

but noblebeast,
    what u say actually is that, ole for example can take his technika, with say 55mm apo grandagon (i think it can cover the 57", ole) and say this: well in the darkroom i will decide what cropp = make it like 45" (and then he will have etreme wide) or i can decide to crop it like 69cm (here it is wide) or 66 (which is moderate) andf finally he can choose a film area which is similar to 35mm format and say that it is a normal perspective.
    well cool, but there are two points...
    -why to spent 57" negative for a tiny area.
    and if that the case, that u come up and print smaller, why just dont take a smaller camera. it will be much eassier to use, it will give u more frames, so that u can try to photograph it again from a different approach.
    -and the second thing is this...

add to it another point.. i choosed to photograph with 55mm because i wanted wide with all its characteristics (field of view, optical geometrical character etc). a slight cropp of a few milimeters is not the point, but a cropp... if i need cropping that means that i should use longer lense, or go closer. in this example we silmulate situation of the view camera use... i have enough time to think what i want and how i want to make it.
    i am mad about my 55mm grandagon (use it on 69 view camera), the quality is top line. but i take now my film from my view camera (which was exposed while the camera on tripod of course etc) crop it like 35mm, then i take same picture on 35mm body with the normal lense(50mm) even without the tripod. guees which one is better quality - the outcome of 35mm camera. why... well, it is all about metematical numbers which express the performance of the lense. the small format lenses disigned to perform on a small area, and to give the highset possible performance there. that is why the same rodenstok make digital lenses, cause for digital backs the different distribution of the light energy is needed. or, when i use 69cm format which is twice smaller than 9/12cm and much smaller than 57".i need better and sharper lenses (not digital) to compete with the quality of bigger format.
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of my negatives are either 6x6, 6x7 mm, or 4x5. Unfortunately my world does not fit any of these formats and I find I must crop in the cameras, on the easel, and on the mat – sorry.

I have only sold one square formatted print – ever. If the owner will permit, I might try and put a copy in my gallery. I do not mind saying that no matter how hard I try nor how much time I take in the exposure process. it seems that there is always room for improvement while printing.

When a member of a camera club, I witnessed several products of photographers who were very proud of their non-cropped images. Many were really bad. Cropping is certainly not a panacea, but it can be a very helpful tool if carefully controlled.

(After thought: Personally, the final product is the important element, not the experience of climbing rocks, wading ponds, or freezing while organizing equipment, dropping my meter, or leveling a tripod {while models laugh their *** off at my clumbsiness})
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin