Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,112   Online: 1154

View Poll Results: Do you crop your prints?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 72.06%
  • No, I print full frame

16 23.53%
  • No, I print full frame with negative borders

3 4.41%
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

dr bob...
    i dont photograph rocks and stones etc. actually most of my photos are dynamic situations. people, nude, etc. i do still too and street as well. when i say to try the full format i dont mean to walk around the model a hour or so just to find the print that will not be cropped. the thing is to analyze why u tend to crop and then, with expiereance, u will be able to push your self using the given film area. actually i can say that it becomes very intuitive. with such studies one first finds the frame and then puts the camera in the place and then tuning it a bit. i feel very dynamic even with the view camera, not to mention the 35mm.
    by the way, changing the format (example, making 69cm as 67cm or 45" to panoramic 612) is not cropping if u do it simetrically.
    u crop if u have no choice, but with it it is very important to use fully the given format.
    victor

Quote Originally Posted by victor
    by the way, changing the format (example, making 69cm as 67cm or 45" to panoramic 612) is not cropping if u do it simetrically.
    So if I crop to 35mm from 4x5 but do it symmetrically it's not cropping? But if I chop off the left 1/4" it is cropping? :wacko:

Cropping is cropping and cropping is ok by me but if someone wishes to place arbitrary restrictions on his work then go for it. It's your work and you can define it however you want.

If I am a lesser photographer because I crop, then so be it. It's my work. I have placed arbitrary restrictions on what I do also as I don't use digital and I have heard that some might find that weird.

Bob

bob...
    i said cutting symetrically. for example ... 9x12cm format to make it like 6x12. that means that u cut 1.5cm from each side (top and dawn).
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    BobF, I entirely agree with you. Whatever you chop off your image, it _is_ cropping_ symmetrical or not. An image can improve dramatically if you do crop, but cropping doesn't work for all images. There is nothing wrong with cropping.

Just look at Cheryl's master pieces. That's proof enough for me.
    Anne Marieke

Shooter
    Multi Format
    So, if I have a square final image in mind, I'm not allowed to use a 4x5 or other rectangular format to shoot it? Or is it the intention that's important: that I'm allowed to crop after exposure so long as I know ahead of the exposure that I will do so?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Am I the only one feeling incredulous that this discussion merits this many posts?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Life is serious, but Art is Fun"
    - John Irving, from "The Hotel New Hampshire"
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Quote Originally Posted by noblebeast
    Am I the only one feeling incredulous that this discussion merits this many posts?
    It does get silly doesn't it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It does get silly doesn't it?
    Yes, so long as we all agree that cropping is OK.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I crop, unless the government grants me a subsidy not to. :whistle:

Seriously, I do feel as if I failed if I have to crop. But it can be a good learning tool. Crop, rethink the image, and if at all possible, go back and do it again and again until you get it right. Subject matter close to home can be done over and over, which is why I encourage students to have a set route so you can revisit year round. Landscape painters will carry several canvases out into the field and go to location after location so to get as many moods and lighting situtations into their works.

With 8x10 and larger, you certainly tend to be much more methodical, careful in your shooting. Especially when you have to process such large negatives. I sometime shoot 4x5's like 35mm, shooting several sheets, until I am satisfied. Which images, I'll never tell, and no one has to know either.

But then again, with portraits you cannot always do it. Arnold Newman's head shot of Picasso was from a croped 4x5 negative. Though you would never know it by just looking at the print hanging on the wall. Kertez shooting mostly 35mm from the hip, how many negatives did he crop? It all depends on what you trying to accomplish. BUt once you hang it on the wall, that should be the end of it.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Did Holbein crop?:

What about Whistler? Did he crop?:

Maybe Gauguin cropped--that slacker vegging out in Tahiti:

Vermeer looks like he was using a long lens, or maybe he just cropped to get that compression of space. No way did he get that close to this lady. After all the picture is about the size of a postcard. He definitely cropped it down from a bigger picture, I'd say:

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin