Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,925   Posts: 1,522,116   Online: 776

View Poll Results: Do you crop your prints?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

49 72.06%
  • No, I print full frame

16 23.53%
  • No, I print full frame with negative borders

3 4.41%
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    In the other thread that started this, Michael A Smith said about cropping in the camera...

For the photographer, the point is not the picture, the point is the experience. Having the experience of seeing your photograph complete on the ground glass is an intense, deeply pleasurable and satisfying experience. That is what it is all about. The picture is a bonus.

Thinking about this later I contemplated it in my own circumstance - a commercial portrait photographer.

It is like going fishing and throwing back all the fish you catch. It is all about the experience of catching fish and not having the fish. However a professional fisherman would starve doing this.

For myself, to bring in a customer and showing them the image of their child on the ground glass, and them saying "that will be $1500 please" somehow doesn't offer me too much hope of collecting.

I know this is carrying this to the absurd but that's just the kind of guy I am.

Michael, please don't feel the need to respond because I do know exactly what you are referring to, and I know your comments are about the way you personally feel about having the image as perfect as possible on the ground glass. I also realize that you contact print.

But for you, to some extent, and for a lot of us, the end result, the finished print hanging on the wall is the goal. For some of us, the print, is where it's at, not even necessarily the experience. Our priorities are the final print. Everything else is gravy.

Michael McBlane

david - if i gate u rite than cool.
    i hardly belive that i am correctly understood, may be i write to fast and dont check it maybe... dont know, so im not sure any more i do understand others. soryy im a bit primintive on the net, i prefer talking eye to eye, than i make it clear to me and to others much eassier. but one "nice thing" happened to me on the net - as far as i "understand", i belong to "elitists" or something like that.
    victor

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, according to the poll at least, the "croppers" are ahead in the popular vote. We'll have to watch out for the five Large Format judges on the Photography Supreme Court though. They may swoop in and negate our votes, and then cropping will be illegal (and no doubt immoral). Then we can expect that burning and dodging will be declared equally reprehensible (Only Satan likes to burn, and isn't 'dodging' also like lying?). And you may as well get rid of any filters you have before there is a midnight raid by the Office of Homeland Photographic Purity, because only a total failure needs to alter their negative with a colored piece of glass. I mean really, if you can't get the perfect negative without those silly little crutches don't even remove your camera from the case. Come to think of it, isn't using a tripod also a form of cheating? Handheld shots only! And then soon cameras themselves will be taken away, and the photographers will paint their body with liquid emulsion and climb inside a refrigerator box and become an interactive pinhole camera (talk about exposing yourself to Art). And only really fat photographers will be able to capture the enormity of the landscape (Hey! There may be hope for me in this whole scenario. Excuse me while I dial Domino's Pizza)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This has been a test of the Early Sarcasm Alert System. If this had been an actual posting, you would have been instructed where to go and what to think. :wink:
    Latent Images Plastic Toy Cameras

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive" - Howard Thurman

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    On the Housatonic River in Connecticut it is fly fishing only, release your catch.
    Paul Hamann

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Time to close this thread ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    yes please Allan - none of it really matters anyway. crop, dont crop, just enjoy doing it.

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    David,

Were these paintings part of a larger whole? Did the artists first paint much larger canvases and then cut them down into smaller sections to show what they wanted and hide their mistakes? No they did not. They knew from the start, the dimensions, format they wanted to work in, and completed their masterpieces within that format.

Experience and abilities is the key, which grow with time and practice.

Thanks for taking the time to scan and post the images.

Side thought, how many panoramic photographs are created non panoramic formats?
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    At least one painting by Edvard Munch has a panel added to one side - he decided he should have used a bigger board (he painted on board, not canvas).

As to panoramic, I have taken some with the intention of using them as panoramic. Since I don't own a panoramic camera, they are necessarily cropped from a larger negative. Does that mean I shouldn't have taken those photographs?
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    How do you hide the joint of additional panals?

I don't own a panoramic camera either but have croped a few images into a more panoramic format. They work and at the time did not see the images as panoramic.

I do not plan on going out and buying a panoramic camera or back just to accomodate those few instances where they may apply. However, you could mark a panoramic format onto your ground glass and view the image in two formats simultaneously. I have a 6x7 format on my 4x5 glass because I shoot 6x7 color and 4x5 b&w. It also helps with framing decisions at the time of shooting.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin