Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,955   Posts: 1,522,808   Online: 984

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I did a quick check, and Freestyle was the only place I found that still offered filters for below the lens use. You need a filter holder, like the one for multigrade filters to use these effectively. It would be a real pain to try to hold them by hend. Most enlargers come with a holder that you can swing under the lens, but you can get one that attaches to the lens as part of the multigrade filter kit. You have to be careful in handling these filters. They are pretty fragile, and cleaning is an uncertain thing. You also can use at most three filters at a time. (The kits come with enough values so that this is not much of a problem.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BetterSense, I must be clairvoyant. I posted about buying a color head and minutes later, you posted that you bought one!

Enjoy!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I, myself, never found color printing worth the effort; yet I have a friend who loved to do Cibachrome. To each his own. The color head on the Beseler is great for b/w printing though: a diffusion head can give smoother tonality; and contrast changes with VC papers are merely a question of dialing in the proper filtration. And max on that enlarger is 6 x 9 cm.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    So this enlarger has a diffusion head? My old enlarger is a condenser. I can't say I have any trouble with it. Are diffusion heads less sharp? It sounds like it lol. I heard they had less contrast than condenser heads.

I guess I have to mark the M and Y dials for the proper grades according to the Illford data sheet. At least after I see if it works. Right now I still have it piled in the darkcloset, hidden from my wife until the weekend when I have plausible GAS deniability.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    I, myself, never found color printing worth the effort; yet I have a friend who loved to do Cibachrome. To each his own. The color head on the Beseler is great for b/w printing though: a diffusion head can give smoother tonality; and contrast changes with VC papers are merely a question of dialing in the proper filtration. And max on that enlarger is 6 x 9 cm.
    When I worked a Kodak, I had wonderful darkrooms available to me. I used a Super Chromega 5XL Dichoric II and the Kreonite machine. The Kreonite was a wonderful machine and I got spoiled. I would not process enough color prints to make the investment of money, time and space for a Kreonite machine. If one was locally available, I would use it. For now I have an optical photoprocessor do my custom work.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reading the OP again, I would suggest that you check out or purchase Henry Horenstein's "Color Photography - A Working Manual", and that you read it thoroughly. It will help a beginning color shooter/printer quite a lot.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I just bought a color-headed Beseler 23CII. It has the color knobs on it. That's exactly how much I know about it; I don't suppose this thing does 4x5? It's huge compared to my Omega Concept 6 enlarger.

So you are saying that the color filters is actually more precise than using a color head?
    1 point precision is better, so you will have more accuracy with the color head. Your results will probably be a bit more repeatable with the cut filters since there is no slop in the dials. However the dichroic filters do not fade (I suspect the acetate filters do). Once you are fine tuning an image 2CC can make or break some images, so using filters that only go to 5CC increments would be very limiting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak published the Kodak Color Darkroom Dataguide. It is a useful reference. You can find copies on the internet.

Also, only use one or two filters at a time on the color head. If you use three, you will be creating a neutral density filter and just cutting down the light.

Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    So you are saying that the color filters is actually more precise than using a color head?
    No. In regards to precision, lower numbers = more of it.

As the fellow above said, absolute accuracy (how closely the numerical CC value dialed in matches the actual amount of filtration you are using) will vary between every set of filters, and is also affected by mechanical factors in the enlarger or CC filters. However, precision is far more important than accuracy. All you need to print is relative accuracy, not absolute accuracy. Precision in this case simply means how fine of control you have; to what degree of specificity you can reliably measure. CC filters come in 5-point increments at the smallest, while the knobs give you 1-point increments. Since the knobs are totally analog, you can also fudge fractions, though by definition, precision remains at one point even when you do this, since precision is defined by how far apart the hash marks on the knobs are.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-18-2009 at 11:55 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin