Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,721   Online: 841

Shooter
    35mm

Uneven illumination

My enlarger prints one area consistently lighter than other sections. What should I be looking for? It's a Beseler Printmaker 35 which I also use with the medium format kit.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you need to align your enlarger.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Are you using the right lens? MF requires something in the 75-80 range. The wrong lens could cause falloff. Also, what aperture and enlarger height?
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 06-18-2009 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    It sounds like you need to align your enlarger.

Steve
    Or adjust the condenser/diffuser.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am assuming you have the condenser version.

You don't mention the location of the lighter/darker sections: is the problem vignetting, is one side lighter or darker, is it an offset patch that is darker (prints lighter)?

It it is adjustable, try moving the lightbulb's position. Sometimes the light bulb itself is to blame and changing the bulb can resolve the problem. Try unscrewing the light bulb a tad just to see if the uneven pattern rotates with the bulb - if it does then the bulb is the culprit. Check that the condensers are clean. Don't use the lens wide-open, most need to be closed down 2 stops to cure vignetting.

A good enlarging meter is a great aid to troubleshooting illumination problems.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) check the light path to make sure that there isn't something blocking the light, and that the condensors and internal filter holder (if there is one) are seated correctly.

2) Make sure that the bulb is in the correct location.

3) Contact Beseler for help.

Where is the problem in the image - at the edges, or nearer the centre?

Matt

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought the enlarger second-hand. It's my first, so be gentle with me. No instructions came with it, nor with the medium format conversion kit that I bought new from B&H. Beseler ignores all emails and there is no manual online on their website. I will doublecheck everything I can when I am home tonight. No idea how to "align" the enlarger. It seems fairly well lined up to me, but I don't know what I'm doing. I'll check the lens... I know I have a 50 and an 80. One is a Beseler and the other a Rodenstock. They both seem capable of sharp prints up to 11x14

Oh - the actual problem seems to reoccur in just one corner. It's not getting enough light on that spot, which happens to be the righthand corner closest to the enlarger.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    35mm
    According to http://www.beselerphoto.com/parts.html#printmaker you can order the Instruction Model from Beseler (phone number on that page). I don't know whether the manual has useful detail or just basic "here's the switch" instructions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is optical alignment and there is vertical alignment of the light source, negative and lens. Frequently these adjustments involve tweaking the little bit of play that exists in light boxes, and negative carriers to get things lined up.

The steps involved would be like using a laser alignment device to see the diffraction pattern off the lens and get the optical center of the lens. Then make a big X centered on that spot on the baseboard. Then take the negative carrier out and see that the projection of the light source borders are the same distance from the center of the X. If not then shift the head, lightbox or the lensboard to get them aligned. Then put the negative carrier in and see that the projected corners are all the same distance from the center of the X. Even high-end large format enlargers can have very little leeway when using them for full-frame printing of the the maximum negative size. This is just one method. Like optical alignment, there are a lot of ways to get the job done.

I have shop manuals and service manuals for all my enlargers and this type of alignment is not discussed in those manuals. (Some manuals do cover it in brief ie the Chromega-D manual).
    Last edited by ic-racer; 06-18-2009 at 02:58 PM. Click to view previous post history.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin