Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,611   Online: 1062

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by edpierce View Post
    Anyone have a type 2 lensboard with a 42mm hole?

Willing to trade a mf neg carrier for it.
    I got a good deal on a Type II last December (2008). Needed a 50mm lensboard; Calumet had lots of 25mm lensboards in stock, & drilled it to 50mm. Contact them--they might have 42mm stock or be able to drill one for you.

Charlie Strack

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I used to covet the Zone VI until I read of all the problems. I passed on a new one a few years back being sold at Calumet store. The 'BEST DAMN ENLARGER IN THE UNIVERSE" is apparently ok, but forall I have heard no better than Omega or Beseler. Having never seen them it sounds to me as if a couple of european brands are probably better, stuff like Durst etc. but the prices here used to be enormous. After all, it's just a projector for different sizes of film. Basically a really simple machine.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    While I own and like my Type II, I don't recommend them. The lack of parts, acessories and support compaired to Beseler and Omega makes them undesirable in my opinion.
    Ron
    Memphis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've repaired and aligned an entire lab full of Omega D Series enlargers. They all have three things in common: poor quality screws, light leaks and few built-in provisions for alignment. My type II has none of these problems.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Zone VI VC Head for Beseler

I recently picked up a Zone VI VC head for Beseler without any instructions so I am trying to figure out how to connect everything. It came with the Variable Contrast controller that connects to the head with the telephone cord but nothing else. It does not have a separate power supply.

• Is the power supply in the head itself?
    • Do I just need a power cord with a female end to plug into the top of the head? Is that "Power" cord for a heater?
    • What is the mouse-like connection port for?

Thanks.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jeroldharter View Post
    • Is the power supply in the head itself?
    • Do I just need a power cord with a female end to plug into the top of the head? Is that "Power" cord for a heater?
    • What is the mouse-like connection port for?
    I don’t have that exact model head you refer to–my head is the Zone VI VC head for the Zone VI enlarger chassis–but I may be able to answer your questions by describing my Zone VI VC head.

My head has 4 connections:

1) a 3-pin shrouded male receptacle (IEC-60320-C14 as found on a common computer) to connect to 120 volt for the built-in heater. A common computer power cord will connect to this plug.

2) a 3-pin shrouded male receptacle (IEC-60320-C14 as found on a common computer) to connect to the timer, to control lamp on/off. This energizes the power supply, which is built-into the head.

3) a DIN 3-pin female connector (I think this is the mouse-like connector you reference) to connect the built-in photo cell to a compensating timer. This will measure lamp output and adjust your timer for consistent results. I believe the newer Zone VI VC lamp heads had a built-in stabilizer which pretty much compensates for lamp output, but I’ve always used a compensating timer, so I can’t verify this.

4) a phone plug to attach to the VC controller that you have.

I hope this helps.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by resummerfield View Post
    I don’t have that exact model head you refer to–my head is the Zone VI VC head for the Zone VI enlarger chassis–but I may be able to answer your questions by describing my Zone VI VC head.

My head has 4 connections:

1) a 3-pin shrouded male receptacle (IEC-60320-C14 as found on a common computer) to connect to 120 volt for the built-in heater. A common computer power cord will connect to this plug.

2) a 3-pin shrouded male receptacle (IEC-60320-C14 as found on a common computer) to connect to the timer, to control lamp on/off. This energizes the power supply, which is built-into the head.

3) a DIN 3-pin female connector (I think this is the mouse-like connector you reference) to connect the built-in photo cell to a compensating timer. This will measure lamp output and adjust your timer for consistent results. I believe the newer Zone VI VC lamp heads had a built-in stabilizer which pretty much compensates for lamp output, but I’ve always used a compensating timer, so I can’t verify this.

4) a phone plug to attach to the VC controller that you have.

I hope this helps.
    Thank you very much. That is just what I needed.

I assume that you do not leave the cord to the heater plugged in all the time? I could plug it into a switched receptacle and turn it on for a while before starting a print session.

I need to buy a dedicated light sensor cord for my StopClock Vario timer.
    I need to find a source for the power cords.

Then I think I will be in business. Thanks for the help.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Large Format
    ….I assume that you do not leave the cord to the heater plugged in all the time? I could plug it into a switched receptacle and turn it on for a while before starting a print session….
    That’s what I did. I turned mine on about 30 minutes before I started to print.

….I need to buy a dedicated light sensor cord for my StopClock Vario timer…...
    Some time ago I saw a cord that would fit the RH Designs timer. If you email Dr. Ross I’m sure he has some ideas.

….. I need to find a source for the power cords.….
    A common computer cord fits my VC head, and you can find those at any store that carries computer products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I put in a dedicated wall switch and plug with little lite built into it so to remind me when its on. Works great,don't let the heater run when not using it .

Mike

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I ordered some power cords online last night.

I sent an email to RH Designs re: the Zone VI cord for my Vario timer.

Can't wait to see how this head compares to a Beseler 45S. I hope it lights up first of all. Then I am hoping it is quieter and ~2-3 stops dimmer with a similar contrast range compared to the Beseler. I am also trying to get a Beseler 8x10 cold light conversion running on the second enlarger. So I will be switching over to cold lights for the first time.
    Jerold Harter MD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin