Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,048   Online: 880

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Enlarger lens scratched, silicon fix?

Just aquired El Nikkor f2.8 for a song, small problem in that rear element has some fine "cleaning" marks.
    Thinking about using some of that silicon windshield treatment to minimize them. Anybody else tried this before, am I going to further ruin lens?
    Will very fine scratches even make a difference on rear element, should I leave well enough alone??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why don't you test the lens on a clear negative before using any treatment on it. Focus the lens on the grain and make some prints from the clear negative, any marks should show on a black print.
    Not sure if windshield treatment will work for lenses, I would not try something like that. If we are talking cleaning marks and not scratches, I assume you will not see a difference.
    Mihai Costea

"There's more to the picture
    Than meets the eye." - Neil Young

Galleries:My PN & My APUG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try it as it is, it's probably fine.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ian's right. I have a Minolta lens that has some obvious scratches on the rear element. Absolutely no evidence on the print whatsoever.

I am pretty sure the silicone stuff you're talking about will screw up the lens beyond repair.

-F.

Shooter
    35mm
    New I went to the right place, thank you all! Will leave it be and do some testing. All of my other optics are pristine so those tiny little scratchs look like the Grand Canyon to me, but "If it ain't broke..." seems to be true as usual.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by zesbaugh View Post
    New I went to the right place, thank you all! Will leave it be and do some testing. All of my other optics are pristine so those tiny little scratchs look like the Grand Canyon to me, but "If it ain't broke..." seems to be true as usual.
    If any thing, I would expect a slight--very slight--lowering of contrast, rather than any scratches appearing; if I am correct, it would be correctable in printing.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by naeroscatu View Post
    Why don't you test the lens on a clear negative before using any treatment on it. Focus the lens on the grain and make some prints from the clear negative, any marks should show on a black print.
    Would there be any grain to focus on with a clear nengative?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    If any thing, I would expect a slight--very slight--lowering of contrast, rather than any scratches appearing; if I am correct, it would be correctable in printing.
    This sounds like a quote from my darkroom mentor, Henry Sapp, years ago. I asked him about a lens with some scratches on it. His reply, "Slight local loss of apparent contrast. You'll never notice it."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If there is any base fog, there will be grain ( base fog is, of course, grain).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin