Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,855   Posts: 1,582,946   Online: 978

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    coops

Split-grade printing is a fantastic tool, and I highly recommend it to be in every printer's toolbox. However, I also believe in learning to walk before attempting to fly. Too steep of a learning curve is pickled with frustrating experiences, and I rather see people succeed.

The best advise I ever got was:

'Take one camera, one lens, one film, one developer, one paper, one of everything and photograph, develop and print the hell out of it until to REALLY understand your equipment, materials and processes. Then move on and add ONE of each.'
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by coops View Post
    BTW Ralph, checked out your website and wow, great images.
    This site and the info provided there, free of charge, needs checking out by all who enter APUG. It's fantastically generous and generally fantastic.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    This site and the info provided there, free of charge, needs checking out by all who enter APUG. It's fantastically generous and generally fantastic.

pentaxuser
    Thanks so much for the nice words. If what I present and post helps other, that's great. However, and to be totally honest, most of what I know, I've learned from others who were willing to share themselves (and much of it right here). In addition, sharing also means learning, because it often a bit of thought to get the message across. APUG is a win-win for all of us.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

SMG

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wow I just checked out your site Ralph, and immediately bookmarked it. I will be making huge use of the Zone dial soon and most likely more of the tools you have there.

Thank you so much for providing this information to all, I know it will help me immensely.

Cheers,
    Sean

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The paper will have two tables for filtration. Use the table that combines yellow and magenta for each paper grade in an attempt to keep the exposure time constant when switching from one grade to another. When printing for the first time it is useful to get a rough sense of exposure times for a given set of variables.

Try to take a series of negs in consistent lighting. Try to print just one negative reasonably well. Then try to print one after another at the same magnification making small adjustments for perceived differences in negative density, simple dodges/burns, some edge burning, etc. and get familiar with the process. Don't try to get it perfectly. Then go back and print the first negative again, this time trying to make the best print you can. I think that is a good way to start.

I agree that split printing is too much to start with.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The best advise I ever got was:

'Take one camera, one lens, one film, one developer, one paper, one of everything and photograph, develop and print the hell out of it until to REALLY understand your equipment, materials and processes. Then move on and add ONE of each.'[/QUOTE]
    amen, Brother Lambrecht
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin