Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,419   Online: 836

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    Yes, but there is room for 7 strips of 5. Why only 6?
    The filing sheets I've been using until recently only have space for 6 strips and the new filing sheets that do have 7 seem too tall for my paper. I shall have to try one of them with 7 strips of 5 and see how I get on.

Cheers!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    when I was shooting mostly 35mm I bought some Ilford RC paper that came in 8 1/2 x 11 just for the ability to comfortably print a full roll with a little margin to spare. Now that I shoot medium format I no longer have that problem. And, using the same paper for contact sheets as final prints gives me a better idea of the accuracy of my exposures.

As far as how many I print, my experience is similar to Iandavid: I used to print many more negatives from each roll, but I believe that I have gotten fussier and I no longer print negs that don't immediately grab my attention. 1, maybe 2 shots from each roll.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip."

And those 6 strips fit length ways on a sheet of 10x8. That's what we all do

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FirePhoto View Post
    when I was shooting mostly 35mm I bought some Ilford RC paper that came in 8 1/2 x 11 just for the ability to comfortably print a full roll with a little margin to spare. Now that I shoot medium format I no longer have that problem. And, using the same paper for contact sheets as final prints gives me a better idea of the accuracy of my exposures.

As far as how many I print, my experience is similar to Iandavid: I used to print many more negatives from each roll, but I believe that I have gotten fussier and I no longer print negs that don't immediately grab my attention. 1, maybe 2 shots from each roll.
    I have looked into getting that paper size, doesn't seem to be readily available here. It seems like 8x10 or 16x20 are my choices, and I can't do 16x20 yet.

I am sure I will get more fussy about which shots I print, especially as I seem to be spending longer on each print.

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    "36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip."

And those 6 strips fit length ways on a sheet of 10x8. That's what we all do

Ian
    Umm, they do??? Have I been doing this 90 degrees out all this time??? I better go grab a sheet of paper and try this out!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, 6 strips fit on a page but not in filing sheets, the gap is too great. What do you lot do for contact sheets ??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here Paterson Contact Printer at the bottom of the page, I've had mine since the early 70's.

There are filing sheets for 6 strips of 6.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, I've found one of those listed at Adorama, will have to order one. The 6x6 sheets I used to have also didn't quite fit on 8x10 paper, I think they were designed for a slightly larger size paper

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris - I also go meticulously through my contact sheets and I only pick out the best ones and mark them to test print. I have wasted too much time in the past printing bad negs trying to get them right to no avail - I am afflicted with impatience. Some days shooting are more successful then others so the amount I chose to print varies, of course. My philosophy is edit, edit, edit. I hate dodging and burning and will reshoot in order to get the best I can so I don't have to, if I am going after a particular shot. But then not every one has that option. When I test print I pretty much know exactly what I am looking for in terms of tonal value and hardness of paper, so usually I can nail it in within a few exposures. Sometimes, I can go for months without success.

CHEERS and good luck with your endeavors.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It depends with me, sometimes I print a whole bunch of prints when I have the time.

Jeff

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin