Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,878   Online: 1027

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It depends on how much time i have before I shoot the next lot. I do my film in batches normally of a few rolls, and then just start with the best overall frame, then the next and so on. Doing batches also means that you can use five sheets of paper to contact print four rolls of film, thus i get to see every single image as a positive before i rush off to print them, I hate to make compromises when printing the contact sheets because the most important step follows and depends on the quality of that sheet: choosing which image to print. I hate to make test strips and get to the final to find out that there is a problem that renders the print hopeless. With a good loupe you should be able to catch problems straight from a contact sheet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GJA View Post
    With a good loupe you should be able to catch problems straight from a contact sheet!
    Exactly! I went through that until I got a really good loupe and it saved me lots and lots of bad test prints, time and money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Usually I print around 30 prints per month, most of them on paper size 18x24 cm and 20x30 cm, sometimes 30x40cm. I shoot average 5-6 films per month.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Thanks Rick

Currently I'm picking a handful of the less sucky frames from each roll and doing my best to print them as well as I can. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not
    Another thing you might do, is keep ardent notes while shooting. This will help you cut down(hopefully) on what you have to do in the darkroom. When you compare your notes to the proofs, it should help you to either proceed, or not do that again. This will help cut down on wasted film as well. The old mot that "we all learn from our mistakes" is only true to a point. Solomon tells us "A fool learns from his own mistakes,and a smart man learns from the mistakes of others". Point here is- continue to ask questions- and this is a great place to ask them!! BTW-what ever routine you become comfortable with is "normal".
    Keep on shooting
    Rickl

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Hmmm, 6 strips fit on a page but not in filing sheets, the gap is too great. What do you lot do for contact sheets ??
    Hi Chris, when contact printing, I put the strips (of 6 frames) lengthwise as others pointed, but leave the upper perforated part of the 1st strip and the lower perforated part of the last strip outside the paper. I put a glass on top of it and the do the rest as usual.

Of course, that leaves bits and pieces (frames 37 - ??) outside. A solution to that could be the next bigger paper size, that is 24x30cm. That should hold 7 strips of 6 easily and leave some room for notes. 7x35mm=245mm. You can use a sheet of clear plastic to write some notes with a marker on it and put that on the sheet as well. Your notes will appear white. That's an idea I had lately and I'll try that when I get some *cheap* paper. I wouldn't do that with premium quality paper...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I make proof sheets for all 35 and 120 film I shoot. That is the first step in editing for the best potential negs for printing. With the cost of materials and time involved, it is critical that I print only negatives that will yield the results I want. How many "keepers" per roll? It can vary greatly. I have shot subjects where every negative on the roll is potentially a very good print and sometimes only one or two on a roll will be printed. And I have shot more than a few rolls and sheets of film that at the time of exposure were great but ended up less than inspiring on the proof sheet or light table.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Happy 100th Posting!

I contact print my 35mm and 120 film when I have one to four rolls. The 35mm takes to sheets of 8"x10" paper to get all the frames. I then set up the darkroom in one of my bathrooms for several days and print until I have enlarged all the negatives I want to.

So the frequency of printing photographs depends on how much film I am shooting at the time.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I only print negs I find inspiring or negs I want to explore. However I am finding that dull ordinary looking negs can have some interesting lighting effects inside so sometimes it's hard to tell if an ugly neg will make a beautiful print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 35mm, the contact sheet conundrum is the best argument for bulk loading. I buy the negative holders that hold 7 strips of 4 negatives each, and load 28 exposures per roll.

For medium format, I've got 6x4.5 and 6x6 covered, but that 10th 6x7 negative remains a source of frustration.

As to how many I print - it really depends .

If I have a particular purpose in mind when I set out with the camera, I most likely will end up printing fewer from a roll, because the contact sheet will give me answers about how successful my various shots are.

If, however, the shots on a roll are just the results of photographing things that I come across and find interesting, there may be several sets of shots on a roll that I choose between, and several prints may result.

Some times, of course, I'll take a bunch of photos at an event or a gathering (e.g. a birthday party) and I'll print just about all of them (smaller prints usually). For this sort of work, an enlarging meter is very useful.

As you are relatively new at this, it probably benefits you to print more of them. That way you'll learn about those circumstances where the small size of contacts tends to obscure the strengths of some images, even if you have a good loupe (and I heartily recommend a good loupe). Also, there is no better way to improve your photography (composition, perspective, exposure, dealing with movement of camera or subject, film development) than to practice printing both good and problem negatives .

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't print nearly often enough but that's another post I suppose.
    Generally i'll pick the one image which interests me the most, or the one that I remember shooting and thinking "this is the one". From there i'll work my way down. I generally never print every image. In one session, depending on how i'm feeling and how much time I have i'll print anywhere from 0 (yes, 0) to 8 images.

I'll go back days, months, even years later and print images which I had never thought of printing. Sometimes you change, sometimes the meanings behind the images change. Sometimes you print the little things to remember and they become more meaningful for you. I guess that's another post in and of itself, too.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin