Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,905   Posts: 1,521,387   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

How much do you print?

Hi all

I'm getting into this printing thing, but was just wondering how many frames you guys usually print?? I was just thinking about this while hanging up 2 rolls to dry tonight, and wondered what you guys would do if faced with the same 2 rolls of film.. Would you print many of them? Just a couple?

BTW, I am also getting sick of losing 6 frames off each contact sheet because 8x10 paper isn't wide enough.. Grrr...

Thanks all

Chris

P.S. This my 100th post and today I became a subscriber! Woo hoo!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris
    No rules. Just print as many as:
    1. you are interested in printing; and
    2. you have time to print.
    Sometimes, I might print none off a roll, sometimes several. I think I used to print more off each roll than I do now. So many things to do! And I am getting fussier.
    Congrats on the ton.
    Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian

I suppose it's a habit from the days when I used to scan, I could quickly get large images of as many of the frames as I want. Of course they look like crap compared to my wet prints as I'm discovering, but it's hard to not rush off and print heaps

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Hi Chris. Myself, most times I've only got time to a couple of negs justice. But that's due to test strips, dodging and burning, ya know, zeroing in on it. And them multiple prints at once. Once I figure my final times, I can't print only one. Most of my sessions run into the 20-30 sheet range from 1-2 negs.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post

BTW, I am also getting sick of losing 6 frames off each contact sheet because 8x10 paper isn't wide enough.. Grrr...
    ???? If you lay out your negs in 6 strips of 5 each, that should exactly cover an 8x10 sheet. Why do you lose 6 frames?

As for the 36th (and sometimes 37th) frames, I contact print all those on a separate sheet. Or, if perhaps one roll is not fully exposed, I contact the "ends" with the incomplete roll.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddym View Post
    ???? If you lay out your negs in 6 strips of 5 each, that should exactly cover an 8x10 sheet. Why do you lose 6 frames?

As for the 36th (and sometimes 37th) frames, I contact print all those on a separate sheet. Or, if perhaps one roll is not fully exposed, I contact the "ends" with the incomplete roll.
    36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Hi Chris. Myself, most times I've only got time to a couple of negs justice. But that's due to test strips, dodging and burning, ya know, zeroing in on it. And them multiple prints at once. Once I figure my final times, I can't print only one. Most of my sessions run into the 20-30 sheet range from 1-2 negs.
    Wow, that's dedication!!! I am prone to multiple test strips for multiple grades, etc, and I try not to save paper at the expense of learning, but, damn, my photos will have to get a lot less sucky before they're worth 20 sheets of paper!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris-- Personally, I study my proof sheet.Then I pick the shot I find most interesting, then start printing. Most often, I end up with only one or two negs printed to my satisfaction(I no longer spend all night in the darkroom). In my youth, I would print ALL my negs, it didn't matter if I had a photo that didn't look good or not. Of coarse, back in the 60's and 70's paper and chems didn't cost much(I think Kodak was trying to get us hooked, then we would do crazy things to afford our fix,like get a job) Ithink you will use good judgement, and common sense will prevail, you'll do what feels right for you.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    36 exp = 6 strips of 6. 8x10 is only wide enough for 5 frames wide so I lose the last frame off each strip.
    Yes, but there is room for 7 strips of 5. Why only 6?
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ralnphot View Post
    Hi Chris-- Personally, I study my proof sheet.Then I pick the shot I find most interesting, then start printing. Most often, I end up with only one or two negs printed to my satisfaction(I no longer spend all night in the darkroom). In my youth, I would print ALL my negs, it didn't matter if I had a photo that didn't look good or not. Of coarse, back in the 60's and 70's paper and chems didn't cost much(I think Kodak was trying to get us hooked, then we would do crazy things to afford our fix,like get a job) Ithink you will use good judgement, and common sense will prevail, you'll do what feels right for you.
    Rick

Thanks Rick

Currently I'm picking a handful of the less sucky frames from each roll and doing my best to print them as well as I can. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin