Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,778   Online: 732

Shooter
    Medium Format

Glass carriers for De Vere 54b

I grabbed myself a new enlarger, a De Vere 54b. It's built like a tank and has a full set of condensers.

Thing is, I know nothing about its neg carriers. I have a set (135, 6x6, 6x7, 5x4) of circular holders that fit into a specific drawer and I have another drawer which I presume takes rectangular carriers (of which, I have none).

Now, I'd prefer not to use glassless carriers. I want to go glass, but what do I need to know? Will these circular holders take glass? (I presume they won't as there's nowhere for the glass to go.) Do I need to buy special carriers? (If so, what models should I be looking for?) What's the difference between the circular and rectangular carriers? (Apart from the shape...) Is there even such a thing as a glass De Vere carrier?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a 504. It has a rectangular cassette holder. The different masks, including glass plates, fit in the cassette holder. I'm not sure what the circular holders are that you're referring to. Last time I checked, Odyssey Sales was still around. You could call them. (I ordered a manual and a couple of parts from them a few years ago.) KHB in Canada also knows a lot about De Vere.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 504 is a very different and more modern De Vere, parts aren't interchangeable at all.

I've used a 54b but we never had any glass in the carriers, it worked perfectly without. These are very old enlargers, very well built, but it's unlikely spares are available now.

Ian

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin