Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,967   Posts: 1,558,451   Online: 978

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

8x10" enlarger - print a whole 35mm film at once?

Many years ago, a lab in Hamburg, Germany, offered "super contact sheets". A normal contact sheet, but HUGE.

Would it be possibe to use an 8x10" enlarger to do this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't know, but that is a really cool idea.

I guess it would depend on the holder.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, an 8x10" enlarger with a glass neg carrier is traditionally used to make enlarged proof sheets.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you get a Paterson 35 Contact printer and took the glass out of the plastic hinge it makes an easy holder for the negatives, Hinge it to another piece of glass. I've seen it done, and also a similar 120 version.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is how we used to print our own colour negative prints.

Using a glass neg carrier and the film taped, we would use 16x20" paper for a whole film, the only negative was the fact that invariably one had the odd over exposed or underexposed frame.

Basically we would do our normal print first, then guesstimate the difference for the under and over negatives. Generally we did it in three sheets, occasionally four sheets.

As it was standard practice to run 16x20" or 24x30" colour paper for test prints on our mural enlargements, these prints were considered collateral damage

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another variation on this is using a 4x5 setup to do 9 images at a time, which fits nicely into a 36 exposure roll, and you don't need glass. The negs are not flat, but flat enough (I use an extra stop down on the lens for DOF). It isn't worth the extra trouble for all subject types, but is quite useful for some, like portraits. I tape the final 8x10's hinged back to back, so they read across like 3 rows of 6 images.
    You can also scan a whole roll, but then you don't have contrast and exposure information.

Shooter
    35mm
    Short answer is yes. I used to do this regularly for a few customers when I worked in a lab. If the exposures are reasonably consistent (eg. studio work) then the clients of our customers seemed to appreciate the extra size and the out-of-the-ordinary nature of the 16x20.

These days I suppose people use macbooks instead :-/

Shooter
    Large Format
    An 8x10 will only project 30 frames on a glass carrier and although it takes a fair amount of time to say print 20 sheets, they do look great. You could also batch up any extra strips on to one sheet. If printing through sleeves (not really an issue for sharpness) the printfile are the best I've used, thus far. Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Blanco Negro, admittedly I have only used Durst and DeVere 8x10" enlargers, but both were able to hold 6 strips of 6 = 36 frames on their glass plates.

One then just did a projection onto the baseboard and printed onto paper.

Do you run a wide angle lens with limited coverage on your enlarger, or is there some other restriction?

Mick.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Mick, I use DeVere 10x8, but I use neg sleeves to protect the clients negatives from excessive handling and to speed up the process, hence only 5 strips of 6 frames.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin