Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,090   Online: 1040

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear BetterSense,

I would look into an old Speed Easel (sp?). Add a cover with a slot using mat board or the like and pull the paper through after each exposure.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Last week, I saw an advert for a Kodak Print scale.

This is a disc with various sections fitted with neutral density filters. The idea is that you expose a piece of paper with this on top for 60 seconds then read off the time setting for the area with the best exposure.

I am now going to make one of these as I have found some gel ND filters about 1.5" x 3" at 0.5, 1, 2, 3 and 4 stop densities.

Mine will not be as closely spaced as the kodak version (I think that one is half stop spacing) but it should give me a good idea.

Mine will give exposures of 42, 30, 15, 8 and 4 seconds from a base exposure of 60 seconds.

I will post a picture when it is done.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And it's done!....

Steve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scale.jpg  
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    In that design, I understand that there is a slot in the top that the paper exposes through, and the device itself is not moved. But I don't understand how you slide the paper sideways under the slot to expose different sections, and how you know how much to slide it each time to prevent overlap or gaps.
    Lift the cover after each exposure and slide the paper along the edge to the next notch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails StripTester22.jpg  
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Lift the cover after each exposure and slide the paper along the edge to the next notch.
    Ralph, I read in your book that you use 5x7" paper of whatever emulsion you're using for the test strip printer. Do you find the emulsions usually match? Or do you have to test once in a while? Some people recommend running test strips from the same box of paper that you're printing from. Thanks.

Brian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Ralph, I read in your book that you use 5x7" paper of whatever emulsion you're using for the test strip printer. Do you find the emulsions usually match? Or do you have to test once in a while? Some people recommend running test strips from the same box of paper that you're printing from. Thanks.

Brian
    Or, an 8x10 sheet cut in half would give 2 5x8 test strips.
    - Jeff (& sometimes Eva, too) - http://www.jeffbannow.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post

Brian
    Brian

Having used Kodak, Agfa and Ilford paper, I've never seen large deviations from batch to batch, but as paper ages it becomes softer and differences can become obvious. Rather than using 5x7 paper of the same type, it is much better, and not much more effort, to cut 5x7 or similar from the box that you're actually using. I don't recommend the previous practice any longer, and this will be corrected in edition 2.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin