Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,160   Online: 783

View Poll Results: What is your typically largest print size?

Voters
230. You may not vote on this poll
  • smaller

22 9.57%
  • 8x10

71 30.87%
  • 11x14

95 41.30%
  • 16x20

29 12.61%
  • larger

13 5.65%
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Geez, you guys should see my darkroom. You would probably laugh. Let me just tell you that a lot of duct tape went into it...
    Don't feel too bad about duct tape! Mine is next to a bunch of exposed dirt (the halfway underground bottom level of a house that was built on a hill in 1906), is not light tight (so I can only print at night), and has no running water (I have to carry prints to the bathroom for that)! How I can get a dust free prints, let alone any prints in there is sometimes beyond my comprehension. Not light tight, not dust free, and no running water: requirements 1, 2, and 3 for a darkroom. Hmmm...
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I print 11x14 for my archives and scan then 16x20 for my editions.
    I would like to print much bigger but my darkroom limitation restrains me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You got me beat... My darkroom has a concrete floor, about 3 x 7 feet of it. It's a "re-modeled" coal cellar that was used to store coal when that once was fuel for the big gravity furnace the house came with.

But it works. For prints up to 11x14. I would like to print 16x20, though. But any larger than that, I would have to make some serious money first. I have no idea how people can afford those large sheets of paper. When you start hitting eight or nine bucks a sheet... Geez. It would break the bank in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    Don't feel too bad about duct tape! Mine is next to a bunch of exposed dirt (the halfway underground bottom level of a house that was built on a hill in 1906), is not light tight (so I can only print at night), and has no running water (I have to carry prints to the bathroom for that)! How I can get a dust free prints, let alone any prints in there is sometimes beyond my comprehension. Not light tight, not dust free, and no running water: requirements 1, 2, and 3 for a darkroom. Hmmm...
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I presume you mean darkroom prints. 11X14 is my choice for big prints. I can do 16X20, but I have little use for that size, and I have to process it in a tube. I can handle 11X14 in a tray, and I find it a nice size for display. I think 14X17 might be nice for a quite a few things (even though I would have to process it in a tube), but that paper size is not readily available. I actually make a lot of 8X10 prints because I make a lot of prints from 35mm. 8X10 is about the largest print you can reliably make from 35mm, although some subjects allow a bit bigger size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ROL View Post
    looking back through my cache of 11X14's, they can appear as "little jewels".
    - I would consider that quite huge jewels!

I like printing not too large (hence my tick in the 8x10 box), as my prints are usually viewed at a fairly short distance, given the small-ish dimensions of my house gallery area (a posh word for a white wall designated for hanging photographs on).

Also, 8x10 is a nice format for presents, I find. People used to looking at 4x6 colour prints from the local lab find the size impressive, and the print can be framed or put in a photo binder without too much hassle or expense.
    S°ren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think it's enough now. Thanks to everyone for participating!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin