Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,401   Online: 716

Shooter
    35mm

Glass holders--without the holders?

I've recently set up a basic black and white darkroom, with a Beseler 23c. I'd like to try enlarging with glass holders, but can't afford the $200 the holders seem to cost on ebay.

I was wondering--would it be possible to just sandwich the negatives between glass and have a cardboard mask? It seems like if I got two pieces of glass big enough, it would do the job fine...right?

Does this sound feasible? Or am I overlooking something?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Of course it would work, Finding nice clean glass that's thin shouldn't be too hard I 've made them out of glass out of old picture frames. "I can fix anything, wheres the duct tape!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Hi Krug995,
    I found a supplier for anti-newton glass that could solve your problem! We frequently replace the glass plates in our 8x10 Durst 184's, the size is about 10x10, the top plate is anti-newton coated and the bottom is plain glass also the edges are sanded to remove any sharp edges. They can cut the plates to any size. Contact Focal point industries at fpointinc.com in Deltona Florida 32773 and have them send you a catalog or check out their web site. I hope this will help.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks--I think I'll check out Focal Point. Looks like I was worrying for no reason.

Though I do have to wonder--why are people paying those absurd prices on ebay and the like for nothing? Anyone have any guesses? Is it just convenience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krug995 View Post
    Thanks--I think I'll check out Focal Point. Looks like I was worrying for no reason.

Though I do have to wonder--why are people paying those absurd prices on ebay and the like for nothing? Anyone have any guesses? Is it just convenience?
    Speed and ease of use, and because some people are much better at putting together things like this than others.

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Krug995 View Post
    I'd like to try enlarging with glass holders, but can't afford the $200 the holders seem to cost on ebay.

--why are people paying those absurd prices on ebay and the like for nothing? Anyone have any guesses? Is it just convenience?
    One has to be patient. I think I paid more like $25-30 for mine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, it can be done but you really should mask everything but the aperture to fit the film frame to avoid flare.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the UK I can buy a set of glass for my 504 for £40 or so.

I hardly ever use the plain half, and use the top of the metal mask on the bottom of the carrier, giving a half glass setup that works very nicely.

I've noticed that ebay seems to be the most expensive place to buy secondhand recently. I guess it's because ppl tend to reach for it straight off...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin