Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,750   Posts: 1,483,839   Online: 1069

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I am about to purchase a new 80mm for the darkroom.

I am looking for opinions on the Schneider 80mm f4 Componon-S and the El-Nikkor 80mm f5.6 N.

Since I only shoot 6x6, these should be sufficient.

Thanks,
    david

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nikkors are excellent, but I've heard of some of the schnieder lenses with aperture problems, ie plastic blades. Be sure of that aspect if you decide on the Componon, the glass is good on either one.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Both lenses should produce good results. There will be those who argue the merits of one over the other...but other then the extra stop of the one lens it really is a matter of splitting hairs.

The one thing that is true of the El Nikkor lens is that it will transmit UV light better then the offerings of Schneider and Rodenstock. This may or may not be a consideration for you. This would be a consideration for someone who may consider converting to the new Azo light head that is coming to market. Reports by a couple of independent sources attribute a stop more UV transmission through the El Nikkor lenses.

I own all three manufacturers offerings and I don't have an "axe to grind" in this.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Both are excellent choices, but if you've budgeted for a new lens, consider looking for a second-hand Apo-Componon or Apo-Rodagon for about the same price (lately $150-200). Either is a cut above.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've got a Schneider 300mm componon. The lens absolutely rocks. Now I'm looking for a 240mm. My enlarger hits the ceiling with the 300mm when I try to enlarge from my smaller 4x5 negs. If I can find a 240mm EL Nikkor, I would buy one. They've got a great reputation.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I believe that there was a 240 componon for sale on Ebay the other day. I have a 240 Componon S that I am not using at the moment. However I may use it if I convert this one enlarger to 8X10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a Nikkor 50, 105 adn 150 which I think are really nice. The 150 is an older lens, spent more on getting it mounted than on the lens, but it is sweet. Use the 105 and a Beseler 80 for 6x6 and 645 and like both. Each lens you mentioned is good, but I agree unless you just prefer a new one, I would check out the used market, lots of good glass out there for a lot less $.

Good luck.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since I only shoot 6x6, should I be looking for a 105mm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used both componon-s and el-nikkor, and both are excellent lenses. I would go for an 80mm. A 105mm lens is going to limit your maximum enlargment size, and if you are planning on using a receint model of enlarging lens the quality out to the edges will be fine. I currently use a Minolta 80mm 5.6 CE Rokker-X enlarging lens which is outstanding if you can find one.
    If you really want a 105mm here is a nice one for you
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=30075
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Schneider 80mm Componon S is an excellent lens. I use mine for 645. I use a EL-Nikor 50mm N for 35mm, and that is excellent too. In use, I prefer the Componon simply because it has proper half aperture stops and a "preset" lever.

One of my Componons suffers bubbling on the periphery of the front element. This is a known "feature" of Schneider lenses of a certain age and performance is unaffected. Mechanically, the lenses seem robust, although the simpler Nikor should be more durable.

For what its worth - According to Ctein in his book "Post Exposure", the 80mm Componon S is limited to 6x6, whereas the other two 80mm lenses (both Rodenstocks) he rated could manage 6x7. Of course, only an issue if you change format in the future. By the way, he did not rate the 80mm Nikon - but that doesn't mean its bad, just that (according to his measurements) it is not as good as the offerings by Schneider and Rodenstock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin