Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,937   Online: 992

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Zone VI Cold Light head/bulb/pre-heater question

Is it a good or bad idea to unplug the pre-heater on my Zone VI cold light head if I won't be using the enlarger for several days? Lamp life is the impetus for my question, and speaking of lamp life, is there a source for new lamps for this head? I wanted to go ahead and buy one to have as a spare, but can't seem to locate one online.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I unplug both the lamp and preheater during the down time. With the future of Aristo unclear, I would conserve use of the lamps and heater.

Eric
    Dad, is the lens cap suppose to be on?.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The lamps last a very long time, and my guess is that the heater would help extend the life of the lamp. The VC replacement is the V54 bulb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some of the Aristos have a switch. It would be easy to install an on-off switch if you don't have one. In my case, the heater switch is up so high I cant reach it, so I leave it on, and just un-plug it when not needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Being too lazy to research this, does the v54 bulb require a correction filter for VC papers?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The heater should be turned off when the enlarger is not in use.

The reliability of electrical components, and many other things, is related to temperature. For every 10C increase in temperature the lifetime of the product is cut in half.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rich - re the V54 bulb for VC papers. Yes, it was developed for VC papers, but you may find that the # filter you use may not be the same as the Graded paper # you would use. I always use a lower number filter than graded would be.

Eric - what do you mean about the uncertain future of Aristo?

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nicholas, I am sure you are correct but - I have a number of electronic devices (An AR amplifier, a PS CD converter) where the instructions state they should be left on permanently, as the sound is improved with continuous operation. I've had them both on for over ten years with no problems. Are these devices different, or ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Luckily for internet bandwidth, in photography there are very few devices that would come under the 'leave on or not' debate The only things I could think of would be commercial processing machines and darkroom HVAC.

Leaving the heater in a cold light on all the time would be like leaving an iron on all the time...a waste of electricity and possible fire hazard.
    Last edited by ic-racer; 08-13-2009 at 03:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    the instructions state they should be left on permanently, as the sound is improved with continuous operation
    I am sure the instructions say that.

In the early days of electronics -1940's & 1950's - it was thought that the turn-on 'power surge' shortened the life of vacuum tubes and electrolytic capacitors - and so much equipment was kept running 24 hours a day. It turned out not to be the case, but this old wives' tale has a life of its own. Keeping equipment off when not in use increases its life, slows any degradation of performance, and saves energy and money.

If you want to see more products with whacked-out instructions then see what I am trying to shift here... Lindan Collection. High-end audio equipment and quackery have much in common.
    Last edited by Nicholas Lindan; 08-13-2009 at 10:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin