Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,899   Online: 1057

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

4 blade easel help

I have a nice saunders 4 blade easel which works great, except for the fact I have issues getting the borders all the same size. I was wondering if anyone had some instructions on exactly how to line these things up the same each time, if there is a science behind it, or whether it's just a trial and error type of thing. Either way, I'd appreciate any information, thanks!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I found the simplest thing is to take a ruler and make a mark on the focusing sheet the size you want the border. Then set the blades to the mark. To double check I rule out the border on the focusing sheet with a ball point pen.
    And yes I wear a belt with my suspenders!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    One factor is to place the paper all the way to the left in the slot. Then the scales can be used properly for centering. After that, there is a small amount of trial and error.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    35mm
    i guess i'm lucky as i've been printing one size only for quite a while. once set, i have left the shorter blades alone and i just play with the longer ones. if the longer borders don't come out equal, i'll trim--which, incidentally, should work very well making all four equal, no?

to make things easier in the dark, i have stuck a tiny wood splinter into the groove on the base board so now i just slide the paper along the groove until it stops on the wood and i know i'll have the short borders where i want them

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Look for a ruled tape with adhesive back. You could attach them to the easel and have precise measurement. I have two Saunders easels that have ruled scales. I'm not sure what model you have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't try for perfection (at least, not of that variety).

The dimensions of paper can differ slightly. My the slots in Saunders easel are slightly oversized to allow for variation in the sizes of paper. While I try to remember to always slide the paper all the way to the left, sometimes I forget, and the result is that the borders are a bit uneven.

If you are going to present your prints with the borders showing, then the only way to make them even is to make them oversize, and then trim them when the prints are dry.
    Louie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One factor is to place the paper all the way to the left in the slot.
    Jon Shiu is spot on with his advice.
    The instructions that come with Saunders 4 blade easels say to slide the paper all the way to the left once in the slot.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of my easels have pretty accurate scales. However, for exact borders, or a series of similar prints, I measure and mark the border on a scrap paper of the size I am using and adjust the blades to fit the marks. My Saunders easels scales require the paper to be to the LEFT in the slot. My Beseler easel is correct with the paper in the RIGHT of the slot.

Also, many 4 blade easels have an adjustment on the blades to make them square.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought two of these easels used.

On one of them, a previous owner had used a red felt pen to mark the base of the easel itself.

Of course, you need to use the same borders each time .

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I made an 8x10 and 11x14 gridded sheet in Photoshop, marked with bold borders of all the sizes I print and more. Invaluable!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin