Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,828   Online: 819

Shooter
    Multi Format

Beseler 45V-XL vs 45MXT?

Has anyone used these 2 enlarger versions and have an opinion on advantages of one over the other? I'm determining some darkroom space issues and would be deciding between these two initially. Is the V-XL apt to stay in better alignment fore/aft than the angled frame MXT? I have some ceiling height issues to deal with on the V-XL but that's not a deal-breaker for me, either.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Both are good. I find the MXT more difficult to learn how to align, but once learned it is easier to align. I.e. there is a learning curve but then it is easier. The VXL is a real tank and is a 2 man job to move around whereas I can pick up and move the MXT without fear of damaging it. There is no easy place for one person to grab onto the VXL. The VXL can make larger enlargements. The MXT is definitely more compact.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    VXL hands down. I have both and find the mxt unstable compared with the vxl. Don't get me wrong the mxt is a nice enlarger but you can twist the chassis without much trouble. I have moved the vxl by myself but is definitely easier with two people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I actually already have both of these but haven't gotten them set up and functioning. My darkroom upgrade plans keep changing and my thoughts of having them side by side with different heads keeps getting changed with remodeling plans, etc. I bought some 4X5 field camera gear and that prompted me getting at this again as I've been making do with a 23CII/dichro rig that I've done some rather time consuming true alignment work on. Both 45's have turret rigs and I've been searching for the correct parts to allow me to use standard lens boards to make optic exchange with the 3 units easier. All of these details (the ceiling height, too) have had me deferring decisions anyway. The V-XL certainly has more mass and heft but I've never actually used one. I've used MXT's a few years back when teaching some darkroom classes at an area school and recall them needing a moment to lose their vibrations after handling the controls but were generally well behaved.

Settling on one rig in the short term was going to save a lot of carpentry and upgrading and that's what got me thinking to ask for opinions in here. The V-XL will require some bench to ceiling distance solutions so I'm determining if I should make the effort to just go with it right away. I appreciate the insights.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    I actually already have both of these but haven't gotten them set up and functioning. My darkroom upgrade plans keep changing and my thoughts of having them side by side with different heads keeps getting changed with remodeling plans, etc. I bought some 4X5 field camera gear and that prompted me getting at this again as I've been making do with a 23CII/dichro rig that I've done some rather time consuming true alignment work on. Both 45's have turret rigs and I've been searching for the correct parts to allow me to use standard lens boards to make optic exchange with the 3 units easier. All of these details (the ceiling height, too) have had me deferring decisions anyway. The V-XL certainly has more mass and heft but I've never actually used one. I've used MXT's a few years back when teaching some darkroom classes at an area school and recall them needing a moment to lose their vibrations after handling the controls but were generally well behaved.

Settling on one rig in the short term was going to save a lot of carpentry and upgrading and that's what got me thinking to ask for opinions in here. The V-XL will require some bench to ceiling distance solutions so I'm determining if I should make the effort to just go with it right away. I appreciate the insights.
    I have both side by side as well. For the VXL, have a cabinet or table built that is just above knee high for the baseboard and then place a removeable piece of countertop (mine are 30 inches deep) at countertop height. That way you don't ram the ceiling with the column. The rig is stable enough to do 16x20 at countertop height and larger prints on the drop board height.

I suggest getting a Dichro S head for one and then comparing other light sources to that as a standard.
    Jerold Harter MD

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin