Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 876

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you Mat,you do a did a better job of explaining the difference.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    It is the colour sensitivity of the Black and White paper that makes printing colour negatives somewhat hit or miss. The orange mask decreases contrast generally, and different negatives may be predominately of colours that the Black and White paper has little or no sensitivity to...
    And let's not forget that VC papers' contrast changes whit the color of the light projected on them. Using color negatives means that some parts of the picture will effectively have different contrast grades from others.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have never seen an ILford paper with a logo on the back, so someone is pulling your leg. Nonethe less that is not important. You need to use a filter to boost the contrast, think above 3.5
    the times will be long due to the orange mask of the film.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    biggest problem I encountered doing this some time ago is the tones did not match a normal B&W interpretation. Reds and especially peoples skin used to come out weird. I have also printed some B&W negs on colour paper and ended up with a 'toned' monochrome print.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is still panchromatic paper produced - Wephota Equitone, which is sensitive to light of any colour and is designed specifically for work with colour negatives.
    You should probably consider traditional B&W safelights unusable with this kind of paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use MG paper grade 4 and 5. distinctly different toned to normal B&W negs but quite nice results. K
    Kal Khogali

www.kal-khogali.com

Visit my Photo Scrap Book

www.shutteringeye.wordpress.com

"Wake up, dream, and photograph what you have seen.
    Don't wake up, photograph, and dream of what could have been."

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by maciekz View Post
    There is still panchromatic paper produced - Wephota Equitone, ...
    IIRC, Wephota doesn't make any paper, they buy from other manufacturers and cut - pack themselves. Who did it for them then?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ektagraphic View Post
    I am VERY new to this...what is a graded paper?
    Gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooogle!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last time I printed a colour neg on B&W paper was about 10 years ago. I recall that exposure times were long and that I had no patience for it. Multigrade RC paper was what I used back then. The results were pretty decent. The orange cast acted like a contrast filter of sorts if I recall correctly.

Regards, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    I just printed a color neg this weekend, and I would say results were just ok, not great. Printed on Ilford MGWT in Dektol, toned w/ KRST 1:20.

The reason I wanted to try it because I wasn't happy with the color cast I had on the original (which you can also see if you click on the link), but have very mixed feelings about digital conversions. Actually I have mixed feelings about the analog method as well...I feel like I should be trying to shoot color better or simply use b/w film rather than try to change what I've got. Anyway, I had to bump up the contrast quite a bit as it seemed flat without a filter, but 160S is a fairly subtle film and the added contrast just seems to defeat the purpose. I think I also printed too dark for the subsequent toning. But...well, there's my example.
    Last edited by naugastyle; 10-26-2009 at 12:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin