Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,491   Online: 957

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Does anyone else cross print?

Hello- I just got a black and white darkroom and was experimenting with printing color negs on black and white paper and the results were surprisingly pleasing. I was wondering if there is anyone else out there doing this? What happens when black and white negs are printed on color paper? -Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I did not know it was possible with the color negs having the orange mask,Kodak use to make a BW paper that would work with color negs Panlure I think it was called.What type of BW paper are you using.

Mike

Images
    Good Evening, Ektagraphic,

I've had somewhat acceptable results using MG paper, usually with a 4- or 5-grade filter. Mike is right about the old Panalure, which is apparently no longer available. That paper was very fast, but ordinarily gave decent results. I think it was, late in its production at least, available in a couple of different grades. My recollection is that Panalure didn't age particularly well, so any package(s) of it you might encounter now are probably suspect.

Konical.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    i have had several students print from color negatives in my darkroom class with great success. it does take a bit of patience and
    "tweaking" but it can be done. they have been using Ilford MG paper.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using some paper I bought a local store that had been cut from rolls and they say it is Ilford. There is a water mark on the back that says black and white paper. It is a RC and VC paper. I did not print these with any filters. I will scan an example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here is an example
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0003.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm alittle behind time's,VC paper would be more sensitive to color negs than the graded papers. I used panalure once on a color neg and it didn't work very well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am VERY new to this...what is a graded paper?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ha,Haaa back when they only made papers that had only 1 grade per box so you had to buy 3 or 4 different boxes of paper for the different contrasts. they still make them but there not as cost effective as a box of VC paper.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graded paper has fixed contrast. It comes in specific grades (e.g. 1, 2, 3 or 4) with grade 2 being "normal". You choose which grade to use according to the contrast inherent in the negative.

Graded paper is sensitive to (mainly) one colour of light. Variable contrast paper is sensitive (mainly) to two different colours of light (blue and green) and one adjusts the contrast of the print by varying the relative amounts of each colour.

It is the colour sensitivity of the Black and White paper that makes printing colour negatives somewhat hit or miss. The orange mask decreases contrast generally, and different negatives may be predominately of colours that the Black and White paper has little or no sensitivity to.

For example, a scene that is predominantly cyan will yield a negative that is predominantly red - and the paper is almost blind to red.

On the other hand, a scene that is predominantly yellow will yield a negative that is predominantly blue - and the paper's high contrast emulsion is blue sensitive.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin