Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,903   Posts: 1,584,560   Online: 1025

Shooter
    Multi Format

Save me from digital?

I've recently moved to large format, and have access to a full color darkroom.

I have been investigating the possibility of using a pin registration carrier to make and use masks to get repeatable results, but I'm unsure what masking techniques I can reasonably use for color printing. I could just scan and do it in photoshop, but I'd like to avoid it if I can.

What I'm interested in/looking at is this: http://www.radekaphotography.com/maskingkits.htm

A book comes with it, that would presumably tell me everything I need to know, but I'd like to know before I shell out $400

I'm concerned that these things won't work for color because there is no more pan masking film.

Can anyone help save me from photoshop?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Ahh... just go ahead and sin a little. As long as you only play with your PS just a little bit you'll only go half blind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's a lot of information on creating masks for color film in Ctein's book "Post Exposure."

You don't need Pan Masking Film to make masks - I have seen Acros and TMAX 100 used with excellent results.

Now I have to start making them myself!

Tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Color darkroom made prints are stunning but are going away very rapidly! Keep the craft alive.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dpprice View Post
    I've recently moved to large format, and have access to a full color darkroom.

Can anyone help save me from photoshop?

Don't screw the beauty of large format in the morass of pretention that is Photoshop.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    Don't screw the beauty of large format in the morass of pretention that is Photoshop.
    Are you expressing your opinion that it's okay to digitize small and medium format?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    What is photoshop? I don't even know, you'd better just work in the darkroom, if you go spouting off words like photoshop people will think your up to witch craft, then well all just end up in some silly monty python movie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photoshop's the shop you go for photo gear, right? :-)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Nielsen View Post
    Photoshop's the shop you go for photo gear, right? :-)
    It sure was when I was a thirteen-year-old kid living in north-central Texas. The Photo Shop was just a twenty minute ride on my bicycle.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends on what the mask is to do - if it is a contrast reducing mask, then it likely needs to be Pan. There was a good aritcle pair a few years ago in Photo Techniques that discussed calibrating your process - exposure under the enlarger as a light source, and calibration of a standard development tiem to get the required contrast index of the mask.

To date, I have not gone to the length of pan mask making; usually I just do it using lith film, and do it to make either unsharp masks or hard masks for inserting areas of text for posters, etc.
    my real name, imagine that.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin