Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,416   Online: 845

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
    If you are lucky, it might be just shy of 18 months old...
    Looks like you were lucky.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoontje View Post

Reply from Simon:

Its even newer than I thought
    This is great, I thought it would be at least 5 years old.
    Simon is a real asset to APUG and he desrves more credit than I sometimes think he gets on the Forum

Service like this helps us all enormously

Martin

Shooter
    35mm
    Did Simon by any chance tell you how to work out the age of the paper from the code? If there was a simple method and I suspect there is if you know the code then Simon could avoid the workload that of answering individual queries and/or the Ilford help desk that you can use on the website could concentrate on other matters where the answer can't be worked out by the inquirer

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Did Simon by any chance tell you how to work out the age of the paper from the code? If there was a simple method and I suspect there is if you know the code then Simon could avoid the workload that of answering individual queries and/or the Ilford help desk that you can use on the website could concentrate on other matters where the answer can't be worked out by the inquirer

pentaxuser
    I was thinking of the exact same thing, generators like that arent hard to make.
    I posted the received PM at the previous page, no additional info was given.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBoontje View Post
    I was thinking of the exact same thing, generators like that arent hard to make.
    I posted the received PM at the previous page, no additional info was given.
    If they wanted everyone to know
    that might be an idea...
    I suspect the reason dates are not placed on the pkgs themselves is to avoid discouraging the sale of out dated, but still fine paper.

Making it too easy to check the mfg. date might have the same unwanted result.

As it is now, help is on a case by case basis.
    Last edited by Ray Rogers; 09-22-2009 at 05:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ray I think you have got it in one. Pity, as the kind of photographers who process their own prints are likely to be knowledgeable enough to know that within quite a large time span the date is irrelevant. If I buy paper from a reputable stockist I assume that it has been properly stored and is within Ilford's parameters on date and even if I knew the code I don't think I'd check it and ask if the stockist had any "fresher stock".

pentaxuser

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post

pentaxuser
    I gave you half the answer in my earlier post (#3), but nobody picked up on it. Thinking about it again, I was able to decode their system to the following:

The first two numbers indicate the month of manufacture starting at 01 and going to 99. The number '00' is not used.

Since he identified the code (42D7616) as March, 2008, I think you can do the rest. Of course, if I'm correct, '42' could also stay for Dec, 1999.
    Last edited by RalphLambrecht; 09-23-2009 at 05:59 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ralph, You have way too much time on your hands!

Anyway, I think its best if we keep Simon busy and ask each time we need to know...
    With new acquisitions and other changes, there is always the possibilty of sudden unannounced changes...

and, establishing and maintaining a direct link
    helps in troubleshooting / product replacement down the line,
    should that become necessary.

Ray

RJS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If the paper is not fogged or otherwise damaged I don't see what difference age would make. Make a print or two and after they dry look. Ifthey look ok I would venture to say the paper is fine regardless of date of manufacture. My experience has been that paer if stored in a freezer is good practically forever, or whenever that is. If stored in heat, humidity etc. that is excessive, whatever that is, it will show in prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Good, practical advice.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin