Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,392   Online: 793
      
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 54
  1. #21
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RJS View Post
    If the paper is not fogged or otherwise damaged I don't see what difference age would make. Make a print or two and after they dry look. Ifthey look ok I would venture to say the paper is fine regardless of date of manufacture. My experience has been that paer if stored in a freezer is good practically forever, or whenever that is. If stored in heat, humidity etc. that is excessive, whatever that is, it will show in prints.
    True, but film and chemicals are using the same system, and there, it is not so easy to just redo it.

    Paper will get softer and slower with time. This is no issue unless it is fogged, because we can compensate with filtration and exposure time. By the way, I'm a satisfied Ilford paper user. Their materials are probably the best quality you can get these days.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  2. #22
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I gave you half the answer in my earlier post (#3), but nobody picked up on it. Thinking about it again, I was able to decode their system to the following:

    The first two numbers indicate the month of manufacture starting at 01 and going to 99. The number '00' is not used.

    Since he identified the code (42D7616) as March, 2008, I think you can do the rest. Of course, if I'm correct, '42' could also stay for Dec, 1999.
    By the way, Kodak used a very similar system for paper. The differences are:

    1. They used the last two digits, not the first.
    2. Their date was the month of expiration, not the month of manufacture.
    3. Their counter went from 1-96, not 1-99.

    The last time the Kodak counter was reset was Jan 2004.


    Having said all of that. Go out and buy some paper, otherwise, the few who still make it are out of business by the time the old crap is used up.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  3. #23

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,961
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I gave you half the answer in my earlier post (#3), but nobody picked up on it. Thinking about it again, I was able to decode their system to the following:

    The first two numbers indicate the month of manufacture starting at 01 and going to 99. The number '00' is not used.

    Since he identified the code (42D7616) as March, 2008, I think you can do the rest. Of course, if I'm correct, '42' could also stay for Dec, 1999.
    Ralph. Can you help me a little more here. I cannot follow your explanation as to how 42 equates to March 2008. I think you had said that the current system of coding begins from the year 2000 so my assumption was that 42 represents 42 months from January 2000 so 01 would be January 2000 but this would make the date represented by 42 to be June 2003 instead of March 2008.

    I must be misunderstanding your explanation. A further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

    Many thanks

    pentaxuser

  4. #24
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    If you use Simon's answer, you can see that the counter was reset Oct, 2004 and not as I originally thought.
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Daventry, Northamptonshire, England
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    6,961
    Thanks Ralph. So if Oct 2004 is 01 then we should be good for deciphering dates until 99 months later which is still over 3 years from now. As long as Ilford don't change the coding system then we should be able to simply start again at 01 in 99 months from Oct 2004. Of course at that point there will be two "01s" but it is unlikely that retailers will still be selling Oct 2004 paper although some e-bay sellers might be! However a simple question such as: "Is this paper many years old?" will still determine which of two possible dates is the correct date.

    pentaxuser

  6. #26
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Thanks Ralph. So if Oct 2004 is 01 then we should be good for deciphering dates until 99 months later which is still over 3 years from now. As long as Ilford don't change the coding system then we should be able to simply start again at 01 in 99 months from Oct 2004. Of course at that point there will be two "01s" but it is unlikely that retailers will still be selling Oct 2004 paper although some e-bay sellers might be! However a simple question such as: "Is this paper many years old?" will still determine which of two possible dates is the correct date.

    pentaxuser
    You don't have to wait until then to have two '01s'. Ilford is using this system for decades! July 1996 was another '01'. As I said earlier, Kodak was using a similar system for paper. Agfa was using a completely different system. They just printed the use-by-date on the box, and saved us from all this hassle.

    Keep in mind, this is the result of my attempt to decipher the code. I may be completely wrong. It's just my guess!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  7. #27

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    459
    My code is 25b503c09 = Nov 2006 Would this be correct? Paper was purchased from Freestyle Sept 2008.

  8. #28
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    My code is 25b503c09 = Nov 2006 Would this be correct? Paper was purchased from Freestyle Sept 2008.
    Oct 2006 if I'm correct.

    Keep in mind, well stored paper is good for many years. Ilford estimates of around 3 years are very conservative in my opinion. I have used paper 5-10 years old with no problem.

    By the way, marking the box with the purchase date is a very good idea!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    459
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Oct 2006 if I'm correct.

    Keep in mind, well stored paper is good for many years. Ilford estimates of around 3 years are very conservative in my opinion. I have used paper 5-10 years old with no problem.

    By the way, marking the box with the purchase date is a very good idea!
    I also have some 11x14 paper with the code starting 92 and it seems to print fine. It was paper i bought in a lot from a craigslist seller.

  10. #30
    RalphLambrecht's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Central florida,USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    6,532
    Images
    1
    92 = Feb, 2004

    I got paper much older than that and it prints fine!
    Regards

    Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin