Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,440   Online: 922

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Couple of Beseler 23c questions

Hi folks,

I have a Beseler 23c Series 2 that I got off the eBay. I had to replace the gears but otherwise it's solid. I do have two questions so far:

1) Does putting a contrast filter in the drawer have any effect when making contact sheets?

2) I thought there were supposed to be numbers up the side of the support posts, so you could keep track of how high it was, etc. Mine doesn't have them.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're using VC paper then yes.

You could tape/glue a measuring tape.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The contact sheets we do on our Beselers are always done with no filter- They come out around grade 2. If the object is simply to see what's on the roll, what's the point of adding filtration?

We have 10 23c's. None of them have numbers on the side.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One reason is that the exposure will be consistant with exposures using filters when you enlarge.

For height, put a carrier (with or without a neg) in the enlarger an raise the head tilll it covers an 8x10 in focus. Take a piece of masking tape and mark the position of the head on the column. Mark the tape with the film format. Do this for each format you use.

When you do contact sheets set the head to the position marked by the tape. Put that film format's carrier in the head and focus on the edge of the carrier. Put in the filter you've decided to standardize on for contact sheets. Set the exposure time for the minimum time to max black for the paper and film you're using. Expose your contact sheet.

If everything is too dark, you now know that you underexposed that roll. If everything is too light, you've overexposed. Hopefully most will look pretty much right. Either way, you now have all the information you need as a starting point for printing your favorite shots.

*some people like to do proof sheets with a lower than normal filter, which makes the proofs look flat, but it helps for evaluating exposure for the highlights and what grade you'd like to end up on. Others prefer proofs with normal contrast. Pick what works for you.
    Last edited by bdial; 09-25-2009 at 08:05 AM. Click to view previous post history.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    a beseler 45 has numbers on the strut, a 23 c has an indicator on the side of the condensor support that indicates which format is being used so you can move the head.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    ...*some people like to do proof sheets with a lower than normal filter, which makes the proofs look flat, but it helps for evaluating exposure for the highlights and what grade you'd like to end up on. Others prefer proofs with normal contrast. Pick what works for you.
    Agreed, when teaching, especially intro clases, this is my practice (use a filter<2) since the likelihood is there will be a range of under & over exposed negs on many students' films and we want to see as much detail as possible in a single contact seet exposure. In addition it is more practice for them in using contrast filters while printing.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My 23C (baby blue model) has a graduated scale on one side that does show head height in relation to the baseboard. At one time you could buy replacements, but it would be far easier (and cheaper!) to simply attach a paper ruler to the enlarger support. The condenser indicator for format is something else entirely...

- Randy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Black 23C XL, purchased new about 1977, and is has a scale on the column similar to the 45's.

With the color head that I added later, this baby cost over a grand 1970 dollars. Amazing deals now a days!
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Actually I do have one more question: I have the Ilford contrast filters for this enlarger. What should I do to get even more contrast? As in, the Ilfords go to 5, how do I go to 10?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrdarklight View Post
    Actually I do have one more question: I have the Ilford contrast filters for this enlarger. What should I do to get even more contrast? As in, the Ilfords go to 5, how do I go to 10?
    Why stop at 10, why not go to 11
    Seriously it doesn't work that way, the contrast is limited by the nature of the emulsion mixture not the filters.
    Suggest you review this material to understand how the Ilford variable contrast emulsion works and is used:
    http://www.ilfordphoto.com/Webfiles/...0201152306.pdf
    If, for some reason you feel you need a higher contrast than 5 then I suggest you look at how you are exposing and processing your negatives.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin