Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,058   Online: 860

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I bought an old and very used Jobo developing tube for my 50 x 60 paper. Wonderful results and very, very easy to use with a relatively small amount of developer (compared to tray developing). For smaller prints I got an Ilford developing tube.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I've heard that you could develop/fix with a sponge. Never tried it myself however.

Marc
    I've done that; in the basement; newspapers, sheet plastic, and a handy floor drain.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaboom View Post
    i'm not entirely certain i even have the SPACE
    to fit three trays that size...
    Process single tray. That's how I do it. Very dilute
    developer and fixer. Don't bother with a stop.
    Processing time are prolonged; good for
    even results.

Develop, fix, wash, one tray. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wrong Unit Assumption

I was thinking 50 x 60 inches, not cm. I didn't notice the previous post where this was pointed out. Not such a big problem as I was thinking.

Shooter
    35mm
    turns out the paper isn't as huge as i remembered...
    its 61x50.8 CENTIMETERS, but since a 35mm frame is 36x24mm, i can only enlarge to about 60x40. If the trays i have are just about 40cm long i think i'll cut the paper before exposure and try teh seesaw method first.
    If the trays are too small or this approach fails, i'll move on to sponges and dilute developer in a bathtub. If that also fails, it'll be time for the DIY bigass wood and plastic tray/s.

Thank you very much everyone for your input, I'll be sure to post results.

keep the great contributions coming!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See this video for some inspiration and simple development techniques for large prints: (John Chiara and his UUUUUUULF camera):

http://www.kqed.org/arts/programs/sp...jsp?essid=6820

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Images
    When I was looking for something to wash the electrostatic filter unit on my furnance, I used a large plastic tub about 2x3 feet which I found at my local Ace Hardware store. I believe that it was intended for mixing cement.
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Shooter
    35mm
    SUCCESSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!
    in the end i went with a mix of the Pschauss cement mixer suggestion and the sponges. It turns out i needed about 4 litres of developer to cover the print (this "cement mixer" i got had weird grooves at the bottom, so it takes a lot of liquid for the volume to rise to a useable level. I just mixed a litre of Eukobrom at 1+14 (vs the recommended 1+9) and gave it 3 and a half minutes sponging developer, poured the dev back into a smaller tray (8x10), and repeated the steps for stop and fix. Rinsed the "tray" thoroughly between test strip and final print.

Currently washing in the bathtub for a few hours with the dump-refill routine. Will post pics when its done!!

I must say though that in the end it turned out a bit too dark. I should reduce exposure by around 10 seconds, but i didn't have a chance to print another copy today since i ran out of time and had to pack up.

Very fun and exciting! once again the help provided by this community has proved invaluable.

EDIT: Here's the promised pic. This is also my first go with the wet-sticky watercolor tape, let's see how that goes.

Last edited by Kaboom; 09-29-2009 at 05:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format

My Likely Senario

One 20x24 tray. Developer and fixer concentration pre-determined
    to develop or fix to completion in 6 minutes. Two liters of the very
    dilute developer and fixer readied. All chemistry used one-shot.

Pre-wet and empty. With emulsion up pour in the developer.
    Constant agitation with a folding of the paper upon itself; back
    to front, right to left. Times up dump the developer and pour
    in the very dilute fixer. Agitate in the same manor.

The wash sequence. With only one print through the
    voluminous very dilute fix wash water changes are few.
    With a post fix rinse I've found two still water soaks, the
    last over night, to give stain free prints. Porous fiber
    sheets, top and bottom, for the soaks. Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The one tray technique gives not much room for honing a print or doing multiples without agony. using troughs sounds more practical; however, are you guys all washing the prints in the bath or using some other technique to wash your giant prints?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin