Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,738   Posts: 1,515,532   Online: 1073

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meopta Lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Meopta Lenses

Hi Guys- This is kind of an extention of the other thread....How are the Meopta enlarging lenses? I have looked at the Meogon S.
    Patrick
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm
    I use a Meogon S 80mm lens whenever I need something longer than 50mm (usually when making small prints from 35mm negs), and find it to be very good. I believe the Meopta Meogons are 6 element, and the Anarets 4 element? I bought mine new, quite a while ago, and seem to remember that the Meogon was just over half the price of the six-element equivalent lenses from Rodenstock, Nikon and Schneider........along with the excellent contemporary reviews, this prompted me to go for the Meopta lens. When I have compared to it with my standard 50mm lens (Minolta CE Rokkor) using the same negative and technique it is a just a tad lower in contrast, but actual sharpness is just as good. On that basis, I wouldn't have any problem using a Meogon as my everyday lens.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Meogon S lenses are good and can be excellent value for money

The concensus is that their performance is not quite in the same league as the Rodenstock Rogadons or Schneider Componon-S

Personally, I would go for a Rodagon or Componon-S, either new or a clean secondhand example

The main decision you need to make is how much money do you want to spend.

A Wanted advert in the classifieds here on APUG will probably get you a top notch peice of glass for a sensible amount of money

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How about the Anaret S?
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Personally, I have not found a better 80mm enlarger lens than my Anaret-S, despite having tried most of the top-of-the-line lenses from most of the major manufacturers.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Anaret S is a very good lens, it's optical cells are made by Schneider anyway, their version is the Componar S (not Componon as I said in the other thread).

It's a touch slower than a Componon S but in practice that shouldn't make much difference.

Schneider's naming gets confusing as this design was once called a Comparon, and the name Componar was used for a cheap/budget Triplet design

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Meogons are 6 or 5 elements while Anarets have 4 elements. They all preform very well, certainly for the amount of money.
    I have a Meogon 2,8/80mm and compared with my Rodagon-WA 4,0/60mm there is not so much difference.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Meogon 80mm a long time ago when I got my first 6 X 6 enlarger. I intended to replace it with a 'better' lens later, when I had more cash. 20 years later or something... I still use it. I'm sure there must be better lenses, but I have never mananged to demonstrate any short coming in it's performance to justify replacing it. I have tested it with lens resolution negatives etc and it seems great right out to the edges and I've compared it against several other lenses and it always comes out on top.

I also have an anaret 50mm. Maybe not quite so good - but I've also not replaced that in 20 years either :-)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used a Meopta Anarat (without the S) 80mm 4.5 for a couple of years now. It has performed very well and was very inexpensive. It has now been replaced with a Rodagon 80mm, which is mechanically better and has an illuminated aperture scale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin