Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,766   Posts: 1,516,419   Online: 985

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The one exception is when I go back to a negative from which I was unable to get a decent print because of lack of skill. I have one particular image that I really like and have tried printing 2 or 3 times but the results suck so I am waiting till I have more experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes I enjoy going back and printing old negatives, usually I only do this for an exhibition or print sales. All my prints in an exhibition are printed to a set of standard sizes and all on the same paper, that paper has changed over the years.

A few prints change re-printing 20 odd years later, many stay much the same I never deliberately re-interpret. I don't normally go back through old negatives just for the sake of it, like others I have plenty of new work in progress but I have been assembling work for a retrospective exhibition and I find this quite alarming, I find looking at past work scares me.

Here's an example of a changedv image 20 years later, first print Record Rapid, new print Forte Polywarmtone. This is the most extreme difference so far

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I print old negatives when there is a photograph that I want more prints of. I also go back a try new things that I learned on old photographs, especially the one I could not get to print.

The new negatives are exciting and I usually print those first unless there is a particular photograph that I need.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by KWhitmore View Post
    I do like printing old negatives. Older work can show whether your style has changed over the years or remained the same...or if your technique has improved. (shooting or printing) Sometimes images become more interesting as time goes on. Some of my favorites are from the first few rolls of b&w I shot. (Zero technique...all chance) :-)
    Exactly the way I feel. I like to start fresh with each "old" neg, and not review my old printing notes. In almost every case, my style has changed, and seldom are prints from different "generations" alike. Plus, my "eye" has also changed, and some old negs that I didn't like, or didn't like the resulting print, are now some of my favorites.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For me “old negatives” means even 40 yrs ago. It is exciting re-enter in those atmospheres with the enlarger and to find something not evaluated enough at that time. Materials and equipment today are different and results also. I cannot say that today is better, probably not, but to bring at new life things and faces that I remember as if is today is not only tenderness but also a small revenge for the time.
    <°Aldo><

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ive been trying to lith print an 'old' negative for my university portfolio for the last couple of weeks. Its so frustrating. I haven't got a work flow sorted out yet, and cannot seem to get comfortable in my bathroom darkroom. I do a perfect 12.5x8 cm and then when I try to scale it up to a full size print i just cant get it right. AAAAh. I hate being a perfectionist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do like printing old negatives. Sometimes, it's because I have the negative, but no print survives. Other times it's because I like to re-interpret it. Still other times, it's because I love digging out some old memory and presenting it to the principles in the photograph many years later just to see the reactions.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Living with a print for a long time and revisiting it is like learning a piece of music and letting it percolate for a while. It plays on the imagination, and a new conception is sometimes generated by subsequent influences. I often play with scans in photoshop long after a darkroom print has been made and even exhibited to see what else I could have done with it as my vision evolves and grows. I am unapologetic in the use of a digital tool to inform my analog process because it quickly and immediately offers alternatives that may or may not work in the darkroom. It's very interesting to think through a new approach that is suggested by the glib digital preview, and then make it work in the darkroom. To not do so, for me, is to abandon repertoire. I think most artists in a multitude of mediums and disciplines do something similar. Certainly, performing artists do it all the time...it's inescapable.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have found that some negatives scan better than they print and that really frustrates me. I also think that that may be because I have not yet attained sufficient skill to replicate what I see on the screen. I have been known to consult a scan before going to the darkroom--I find it a double edged tool though when I cannot achieve what I know is possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i enjoy reprinting old negatives
    because with the time that has passed
    i can see what i originally saw much better ...
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin