Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,696   Posts: 1,549,066   Online: 1037

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Do you like reprinting old negs?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts on printing negatives that they have made prints from before.

I am much more excited when printing new negatives and find it hard to motivate myself to revisit negs already printed. Even when its an order from someone to purchase a print, I find it more a chore if I don't have the particular print already made.

While I do accept that the print can be improved or done differently to how you made it in the past, and this has worked for me, I still don't get very excited by it.

Anyone else feel this way or do you love doing reprints?

Peter
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love discovering forgotten gems in old negatives.
    I love reprinting old negatives as well.
    I love seeing work of mine with a different eye and a better technique.
    I am still learning after all.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Definitely a chore for me. The only old negs I like printing are ones that I didn't print at the time for some reason (usually too much of a backlog).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love printing old negatives.

It's really interesting to me to see how my tastes in printing change over the years by comparing the same negative printed during different times of my life.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I don't care for printing old negs. Usually have more new work than time to print and would rather explore those.

But on the occasions where I sell a print from an old neg. it is interesting to see how my eye and technique have changed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by memorris View Post
    I don't care for printing old negs. Usually have more new work than time to print and would rather explore those.
    I think this is my problem also.
    www.thephotoshop.ie
    www.monochromemeath.com

"you get your mouth off of my finger" Les McLean

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I do like printing old negatives. Older work can show whether your style has changed over the years or remained the same...or if your technique has improved. (shooting or printing) Sometimes images become more interesting as time goes on. Some of my favorites are from the first few rolls of b&w I shot. (Zero technique...all chance) :-)

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it's easier in a sense to reprint old negs and improve upon them since you already have a basic print map that got you your most recent print. I too enjoy improving a print. It may take 3 or 4 sessions for me to get a final print from a negative. Once the final print is reached, I will usually leave the negative alone, or until my technique gets better or my eye changes and I want to improve. The important thing is to keep notes!

Shooter
    35mm
    I don't mind when it is something that I know that I am able to print better now from things learned, but its been awhile since new negatives have been availible since I haven't processed anything for some time. So with a tube accumulating rolls of film to run at some point, I'm quickly becoming eager to move on to all the photos I haven't seen before.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I often come back to old negatives when I feel that I didn't get it right the first time.
    Sometimes it takes years to arrive at the conclusion that the negative could yield a better print.
    Sometimes I have to realise that the earlier print was the best I could get from the negative, but sometimes I get it right.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin