Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,160   Online: 731

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    ...Amber or OC saflighting is easier on the eye, but not necessarily on the paper.
    And yellow green must be even better, but certainly not for any paper. I've got darkroom lamps, red and yellow green. The later can be very good with some papers, provided that their are put far enough. I tested them at 1,5m away and 2 minutes is the maximum with Ilford MGIV. At 5-6m away, they are harmless. I tested with Foma, but 10 seconds exposure from 1,5 gave light grey...

Shooter
    35mm
    The Amber LED has a pretty sharp output at 590nm. The Fomabrom datasheet above suggests this should be OK even with foma, but I will test anyway.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess I've been in the darkroom for so many years now, that I could probably work in total darkness and not know the difference.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You're right of course Ralph, but for paper the red 1A is fine. It's the one I use in the darkroom and by the standard fogging test (flash a piece of paper, put a coin on it, let it sit under a safelight for several minutes, then develop the paper), it proved out to be more safe than the OC safelights I'd been using. The darker ones should be even safer, but then what good is it if you can't see what you're doing?
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    You're right of course Ralph, but for paper the red 1A is fine. It's the one I use in the darkroom and by the standard fogging test (flash a piece of paper, put a coin on it, let it sit under a safelight for several minutes, then develop the paper), it proved out to be more safe than the OC safelights I'd been using. The darker ones should be even safer, but then what good is it if you can't see what you're doing?
    Frank

It depends on the intensity of light. I have six 15W safelights in my darkroom and need to have them VERY dim!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    The Amber LED has a pretty sharp output at 590nm. The Fomabrom datasheet above suggests this should be OK even with foma, but I will test anyway.
    I'm intriqued by the LED technology, but not so much as to spring for the EK. Are there any cheap really workable alternatives that don't require special power sources?.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Standard base 120VAC LED bulbs:

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/e27-w8.htm US$3.95 red or amber
    http://superbrightleds.com/specs/E27-W24.htm US$7.95 red or amber

Others from the same and from other vendors. Easy to find with a simple google search. Superbrightleds has been an excellent vendor in my experience, with low prices, quick shipping, and reasonable shipping charges.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Careful Frank, I agree with your statement, but red ain't necessarily red. There is red (#1), light red (#1a) and dark red (#2). I use a dim #1 filtration for paper. #1a has a high transmittance between 620 and 700 nm (higher than light amber 'OC'), and #2 is too dark for human vision.
    Ralph, are you saying that the #1 filter is preferred?

I just bought some cheap 5x7 lights on evilbay with no name plastic OC filters, and I'm scrounging for some good red filters. If I should avoid 1a I would like to know.

As an aside, it occurred to me that I can put a very small compact fluorescent bulb instead of the recommended 25W incandescent as a heat controlling mechanism. I know the CF bulbs cannot safely be used as white light in the room as they have an afterglow that will fog film and paper. Is that afterglow UV, and will the #1 filter trap that making them safe?

Has anyone tried the red CF party lights as safelights?

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm pretty sure a colored filter will absorb the UV from a CFL. My current amber safelight has an overly-bright CFL in it and it's still safe.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    Standard base 120VAC LED bulbs:

http://superbrightleds.com/specs/e27-w8.htm US$3.95 red or amber
    http://superbrightleds.com/specs/E27-W24.htm US$7.95 red or amber

Others from the same and from other vendors. Easy to find with a simple google search. Superbrightleds has been an excellent vendor in my experience, with low prices, quick shipping, and reasonable shipping charges.

Lee
    Thanks. Do you think the amber would be safe with VC papers?
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin