Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,706   Online: 726

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

"Never mix OC and red safelights in the darkroom"

Never mix OC and red safelights in the darkroom -- even if a paper can be used with either safelight, the combination will usually cause fogging.
    This is from freestylephoto.

I recently discovered how much better amber safelighting is than red safelighting. It's a lot more comfortable, and it seems to be fine with my paper. I saw this quote from freestylephoto's safelight page and it doesn't make any sense to me. I'm not sure why you would use both red and amber at the same time, but I don't see why a blend of them would be worse than either one by itself, if the total output was the same.
    f/22 and be there.

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The freestylephoto quote is ... well, the technical term is 'wrong'. You are right, it makes no sense.

Interestingly enough, I recently switched to dark red lights from amber. I got used to the different lighting now. I needed it, because at the time, I tested a few East-European papers, which required a red safelight. I also tested it with my Ilford papers, and the red safelight is a lot 'safer', which just means that I can handle it for more than 32 minutes without any fogging.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm going to build both LEDs onto my heatsink with individual brightness knobs, so that I can just turn up the red instead of orange if I need to. I've been using a red Cree led and it's worked very well so far. An amber LED should be fine.

I would just use my orange filtered safelight but I would rather have less heat in my small dark-closet.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use both, started off with OC then went to red for the Eastern European papers, like Ralph. But I've not ditched the OC, I just don't turn it on when I'm working with papers that require red.
    If a paper is safe under red and safe under OC, I too don't see how a combination could be less safe, unless the total illumination is too much. In my experience the combination is fine.

Shooter
    35mm
    Which papers are un-OC safe? Right now I use some Illford, Arista Private Reserve and Arista.edu ultra. I checked the Illford and Adox datasheets, but it might be good to know in the future.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It may be that if you use both red and amber, it may be more difficult to determine if the total level of safelight illumination is too high.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fotokemika Varycon papers require a red safelight according to their web site. Don't bother trying to load the pdf files unless you read what I think is Croatian. Arista.EDU Ultra papers are rebadged Foma papers and are supposed to be safe under OC safelights, but the tech sheets for Foma papers suggest red is better.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've only ever used red safelights. I mainly use Eastern European papers, and they all recommend red. I dont see any problems with the light on Kodak or Ilford papers.
    Rick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ...and you never will, provided of course that your red safelight is truly safe. If OC or amber safelights work, then red will surely work and probably afford a safer environment for the paper. The downside to red safelighting is that it is harder to see by. Amber or OC saflighting is easier on the eye, but not necessarily on the paper.
    Frank Schifano

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    ...and you never will, provided of course that your red safelight is truly safe. If OC or amber safelights work, then red will surely work and probably afford a safer environment for the paper. The downside to red safelighting is that it is harder to see by. Amber or OC saflighting is easier on the eye, but not necessarily on the paper.
    Careful Frank, I agree with your statement, but red ain't necessarily red. There is red (#1), light red (#1a) and dark red (#2). I use a dim #1 filtration for paper. #1a has a high transmittance between 620 and 700 nm (higher than light amber 'OC'), and #2 is too dark for human vision.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin