Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,770   Online: 1040

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I brought my 6 year old daughter into the dimroom to watch me pour developer on a freshly exposed palladium print and her wonderment, almost a gasp, was so satisfying. I hope she'll remember that moment when she's older...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, the smells are wonderful and nostalgic. It's the tactile "ness" of the whole procedure that I find pleasurable. The tanks, the film, pouring chemical solutions, handling the paper, setting the timers, etc. Just not the same sitting at a computer.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    All this talk of the darkroom is making me envious. Now that I'm based in BKK, a darkroom is "the stuff dreams are made of" right now.
    With luck, if I get the chance to fly home later this year (early next) for a bit, I'll go crazy in mine just to keep me satisfied that little bit longer!

Long live the wet process - the dry one drives me to tears.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I don't have much love for darkrooms - that is why I gravitate towards alt processes that get me out of them...

But one smell I remember as a child and that still excites me is aviation fuel, basically airports ... I love them ! My father flew, so there you go
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nick mulder View Post
    But one smell I remember as a child and that still excites me is aviation fuel, basically airports ... I love them ! My father flew, so there you go
    Absolutely! What's even better is to have Dad's plane. We picked up the 170 at the Cessna factory in Wichita in August, 1950, and flew it home. I was eleven.
    It still has the same smell of aviation fuel, leather, and other things. Every time I open the door I have to draw it in.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 59 Charlie 01 sml.jpg   Reilly-Co-Pilot-for-Web.jpg  
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!
    For all practical purposes, they've taken Kodak away.

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm

My darkroom

The solitude it affords. It is my very special place, where I go to finish the creative process which started with the camera exposure. And there are no inflated egos, no self-superior fauxtographers and alleged photographers to (try and) tell me what to do.

I built it myself, from scratch, and I know every nail, every screw, every inch of electrical wire and all of the plumbing, intimately. There is my sweat, some of my blood and a lot of my time invested in that room, and I never take it for granted.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dr. Ken is a good friend of mine. He has his man-cave in his basement. it is his retreat from his wife (also a doctor) and three daughters, albeit he rarely retreats to the cave before his daughters are in bed. The man-cave is lined with books, LPS and CDs. He goes in there and puts on a good CD or LP and opens his book of the moment. Ah, pure male bliss.

My man-cave is a little different. It has two enlargers, two sinks, a safe light, etc. I put on a nice CD, fill the trays and shut the door on the rest of the world. The pressures of work and life in general melt away. When I crawl out of the cave, I am refreshed, invigorated, and ready to face the world again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My darkroom is definitely my retreat from the world. It may sound corny, but I'm at peace with everything when I'm in there.

Ash

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That feeling as print version 4 or 5 goes into the dev. after the carefully planned dodges, burns, tonal choice and drydown factors are executed. It slowly materialises and your eyes and gut tell you this is "the one". As this feeling is confirmed while the fixer does its final work you quietly say to yourself, yes, my friend, you are a @#$%ing genius! Being master of this tiny universe is exhilarating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Little things

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Egan View Post
    That feeling as print version 4 or 5 goes into the dev. after the carefully planned dodges, burns, tonal choice and drydown factors are executed. It slowly materialises and your eyes and gut tell you this is "the one". As this feeling is confirmed while the fixer does its final work you quietly say to yourself, yes, my friend, you are a @#$%ing genius! Being master of this tiny universe is exhilarating.
    Like me the first few are not that thrilling but once you get to the best combination "da** you are GOOD" is a rush that drugs or alcohol cannot compare with.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin