Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,556   Posts: 1,545,058   Online: 982

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Need help pls to not wast expensive paper.

Thank you for looking.

I just purchased some Bergger Silver and it's a bit expensive but from what I've gathered, worth it if used in the trained hands.

Only 10 sheets.

Can you guys/gals suggest some of the best was to make my testing/exposure strips etc., without wasting paper. No doubt I''m going to have to bite the bullet on some but I'm looking to limit it.
    Thanks tons.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    10 sheets really isn't enough to learn the ins and outs of a paper, but if it's what you've got, you may try cutting some down, printing smaller and multiplying the exposure before printing full size. The standard paper sizes are approximately 1-stop apart (4x5, 5x7, 8x10, 11x14, 16x20--4, 5, 8, 11, 16--do those numbers look familiar?), so if you make your test prints at 4x5" and your final print at 8x10", exposure for the 8x10" should be two stops more than for 4x5",
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    David, thanks tons. I had no idea about the 1 stop rule between sizes. Makes sence tho'... is this what you mean by "multiplying the exposure"

I know 10 sheets is not really enough, but it's expensive and with my lil' rug rat.

It's going to be painful because I like to dodge and burn so that takes a few tests right there.
    Thanks again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes, that's what I meant. Come to think of it, you might even try to keep the exposure time constant and just stop the lens down for the smaller test prints to avoid any reciprocity issues.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now that's an idea.
    So, to start I think I make one sheet of test strips, make a base line from choosing one area of the exposed test strip, say, 10 sec, and then beginning with a 4x5 which would be the other half of the sheet I'm making my test strips with.
    then if it works stop down two stops for a 8x10, then do my dodge / burn etc...
    Boy, that's 2 sheets out of 10 before a even come close and I don't usually come close that often.

Hey, but for the finished product of what we know to be like no other media, it's worth it.

Thanks tons David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The technical info, on the Bergger site says:
    "Exact exposure times may be found by test strips (small, extra sheets of the paper are enclosed for this purpose)."
    You may have a little more to experiment with.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Test strips included? Excellent. I've ordered by not yet received.
    Good news.
    Thank you!

Shooter
    Medium Format

2 Up on 5x7

Quote Originally Posted by dwdmguy View Post
    Can you guys/gals suggest some of the best was to make
    my testing/exposure strips etc., without wasting paper.
    My 'test strips' are printed full negative, 2 up on 5x7
    sheets. I cut 8x10 to 2 5x7s. Full frame prints are
    very revealing. If you're lucky one 5x7 will
    tell the tale. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan, I think that is a fine idea. I'll try both the enclosed test strips as well as your suggestion of 5x7.
    Boy this paper is expensive.
    Thanks so much.
    Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I ain't a master printer or anything, but the technique I was shown involved test squares not strips on the assumption you may not have large areas of highlight or shadow to test with. I cut approx 1" squares and (recently anyway) proceed by split-grade printing which means I use only 2 sets of test squares: one for shadows and one for highlights. Takes a little longer to do the exposures (colour enlarger is a godsend compared to using separate filters here) but the time saved in developing tests and paper saved in needing only 2 test sets is (for me) significant.

If you're used to running a test strip at 3 or 4 different grades and picking a grade and exposure from all those then split grade will save you a lot.

Oh yeah: you will need to open up (not close down) the lens by 2 stops when going from 4x5" to 8x10" and using the same times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin