Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,273   Posts: 1,534,542   Online: 993

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Is 80mm lens OK for 35mm enlarging? (newbie)

I've just driven a 2500km return trip to pick up my new (2nd hand/ebay) LPL C7700 MX enlarger. It came with an EL Nikor 5.6 80mm lens. Will this be OK for enlarging 35mm negs to maximum size on 8X10 paper? I've had a quick play (darkroom still under construction) and with the head about 70mm up the column the lamp illuminates a neg over the full area of a piece of 8X10. So will there be any problems? I'm a bit concerned that exposure times will be a bit long because of the lens to paper distance and the max aperture of only 5.6.
    Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It will be OK.
    Using a longer focal length means that you have to raise the head higher than with a shorter focal length. If you need to do large prints this can be a problem but only then.
    Don't worry about aperture as long as you can get the picture in focuse.

Good luck

Shooter
    Medium Format
    no problems, image quality-wise. As you've noticed, the lens has to be higher than it would be if you used a 50mm lens, so times will be longer and you wont be able to make large prints. You don't want to use an enlarging lens wide open, it'll be sharpest a couple stops down. So, just deal with the long times until you can buy a 50mm lens. Good enlarging lenses are cheap now anyway
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I routinely use a longer lens for enlarging 35mm (usually for producing small prints). Even using it full aperture, for really dense negs, there is no fall off in quality. Just make sure you use a good lens, whatever you use. Regards, B.
    Norman is an island.Time and tide wait for Norman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With that setup you can start printing right away if you have a glass carrier or a 35mm carrier. I'd stop down to f8 with that lens. You can pick up a 50mm for cheap later.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like in foremention posts 80mm lens is ok for 35mm as you don't want to make large prints. The edges of the prints are very good.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmacc View Post
    I've just driven a 2500km return trip to pick up my new (2nd hand/ebay) LPL C7700 MX enlarger. It came with an EL Nikor 5.6 80mm lens. Will this be OK for enlarging 35mm negs to maximum size on 8X10 paper? I've had a quick play (darkroom still under construction) and with the head about 70mm up the column the lamp illuminates a neg over the full area of a piece of 8X10. So will there be any problems? I'm a bit concerned that exposure times will be a bit long because of the lens to paper distance and the max aperture of only 5.6.
    Thanks
    As long as you can make the size print you desire, the answer is no.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all ... sounds like I can jump right in and start printing ... I don't intend to do anything larger than 8X10 until I've got all other aspects of this analog thing sorted.
    Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    80mm is my standard enlarging lens for 35mm to 6x6. It works great. Get started!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use the 80mm for 35mm and a 105mmfor 6x6.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin