Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,944   Posts: 1,585,790   Online: 1050

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ann,

Thank you. I'll try that soon and report back. One of my difficulty was that I am using Kodak chemical with Ilford paper. The Kodak literature does say to develop ONE minute for RC paper. Ilford paper simply does not mention anything but its own chemicals. Not that I don't trust your information - but for my future reference and more reading purpose, will you tell me where that information is found?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If it is very contrasty with a grade 2 filter, the negs may be over developed also.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tkamiya View Post
    ......... (yes, I am getting old...)

Thanks again for all the responses.
    Aren't we all But it beats the alternative.........most days, anyway

Welcome back to the "real" world.

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the times should be on the spec sheets that came with the paper.

or check Ilford's website

times will be the same unless your using a strange developer,
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everybody. I appreciate all replies.

Per Ann's suggestion, I read the instructions that came with the paper little more carefully this time. The problem I had was, the documentation mentions 3 different developers with different dilutions and it only mentions Ilford chemicals.

Searching little on THIS site, I found, Dektol is similar to Bromophen and according to the Ilford doc, the time is 2 minutes. I also saw a post on THIS site someone is using this combination with 90 seconds development time.

I'll try this tonight and see how it goes. It may be that I am over-exposing the paper and under-developing it as well.

The learning continues....

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    what ratio of Dektol are you using?
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am following Kodak's documentation. I made the stock solution then dilute it 1 part stock, 2 part water.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
    If it is very contrasty with a grade 2 filter, the negs may be over developed also.
    I think you are right on this... Reading over a Kodak publication on XTOL, the agitation procedure I used will result in over-agitation, thus over-development. Thank you for pointing this out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    There is a way to adjust the condenser for different size negatives- not sure if you looked at that.
    art is about managing compromise

Shooter
    Multi Format
    avandesande:

Yes, I reviewed my setting. There is a chart on back side of the door of the movable condenser lens. For this lens (75mm), the location of the condenser lens is correct (the bottom tier).

At this point, there are few viable pointers. I need to retest my process with:
    1) correctly developed film - looks like I over developed it by too much agitation
    2) use correct development time for paper - apparently, it was too short
    3) use a new bulb - have no idea how old this bulb is...

Looks like unless I get all these corrected, there are too many variables and combination of of wrong processes. Any test I do will be of little value. It might take me few weeks, but I will report back when I have a result.

I think, it was a good try for my first attempt in 30 years. I will re-read all of my literature and review the processes, then retry.

Thank you for your reply.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin