Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,593   Posts: 1,546,097   Online: 903

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I haven't tried the 50/2.8 but our club darkroom has the 50/4. It has visibly soft corners even at f/8 enlarging to 5x7, which caused me to go out and buy myself a Rodagon to use instead (much much better). I can't tell you if maybe theirs was damaged or whether they're all like that, but the one 50/4 I tried was not good at all.

I think AUD30-50 is pretty typical for the 50/2.8 and you can get other great enlarging lenses (Rodagon, Componon-S) in the AUD50-80 range.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Back in the 70's I used the F/4.0 and was very pleased with the enlargments. I also used it on my Canon FTB with an adapter and a short extension tube as a macro lens and and it performed very well, not as good as the 50/3.5 Micro, but very good needless to say. As others have said, you won't see much difference in print quality up to 8x10 size and as others have also said you can get the 2.8 lens for just a few dollars more, so I would go for the 2.8 model. Which ever version you get be sure to use it at f/8 or f/11 for best sharpness. You might also consider the 63mm f/2.8 el-Nikkor or the Schneider 60mm f/5.6 Componon, both are outstanding lenses, but can get a little expensive.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never seen a MTF curve for any Nikkor enlarging lens, but I thought Schneider still had the Comparon (4 element) MTF that I could pull up to compare to the Componon-S (6 element) MTF but I'm unable to locate the Comparon MTF data.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    I agree with Nicholas except for the fact that a 6-element should always have an advantage over the 4-element variety at wide-open apertures.

However, I like to add a thought:

Why would anyone even think about a compromise in enlarger lens performance?

They are very cheap (compared to taking lenses and cameras), and they are part of the image system, which is only as good as its weakest link. I think, the best strategy is: Get the best enlarging lens you can afford, because it's the cheapest way to get best technical print quality!

Everything else is like buying a Porsche and then fit it with wooden spoked wheels. Who would do that?
    What Ralph said.

In the olden days, perhaps it was worth saving 200-300$ dollars and sticking with more modest lenses (insofar as it was within the limits of performance needed), but with the current prices, the only expensive lens that's left is the APO-El-Nikkor!

One is not throwing money away by going after the best of the bunch at the prices we can have it. Especially an enlarger lens. The features or "defects" of camera lenses can be exploited creatively, but I have yet to see someone do the same at the enlarging stage. Enlarging lenses are strictly practical tools: if your camera is a violin, your enlarger is a wrench.

By using the best enlarger lens one can find, you're reducing the degradation of the image you worked hard to get on your negative.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    okay so we got a 50/50 split, solution is that i will buy both, the f4 this week because there are more around, a 2.8 next week/month, then i will sell the one i dont want, easy as that.
    Thank you all for your helpfull replies, i can now weigh up the pros and cons.
    regards.

Everything else is like buying a Porsche and then fit it with wooden spoked wheels. Who would do that ,
    you may have something here that Porsche would be interested in, there may be carbon credits involved:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
    okay so we got a 50/50 split, solution is that i will buy both
    Don't forget that there are Rodagons and Componons out there as well. Just to add confusion

Last night I made handful of 24x30 and 30x40cm prints with Rodagon-WA 40/4 and they are a tad sharper than ones with 2.8 El-Nikkor. Specially made some to compare with earlier prints. But this could be just a sample variation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by polyglot View Post
    I haven't tried the 50/2.8 but our club darkroom has the 50/4. It has visibly soft corners even at f/8 enlarging to 5x7
    Ooooh, you got a bad'un. Or conversely, I got a good'un...
    Alex

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Don't forget that there are Rodagons and Componons out there as well. Just to add confusion

Yep i knew when i posted that this would happen, so i have a couple on watch list

Originally Posted by polyglot
    I haven't tried the 50/2.8 but our club darkroom has the 50/4. It has visibly soft corners even at f/8 enlarging to 5x7

Ooooh, you got a bad'un. Or conversely, I got a good'un...

Must have a bad one, even the rondo i have does not give this result.

Also, i just did a double check around the world and a 2.8 ranges from US40.00[US shipping only] to US 266.00:o at the moment

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've used several EL-Nikkor f/2.8 lenses over the last 40 years, and found all of them good. I've occasionally used the f/4 model, too. As others have said, the f/4 is fine for most printing. One advantage of the faster lens is in aligning enlargers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a 50 f4 for probably 30 years now. I used it a couple times early on and it has been in it's plastic bubble and original box ever since. No particular reason why it has been stored away. It made very nice prints. I am just more of a german optics guy and I have an array of Rodenstock Roagons and Roganar S lenses plus a couple Schneider Comparons as well. I would say save your money and just stick with the f4 for the 35mm stuff. When and if you go to any larger formats then it is time to start looking much closer at the lens you use on the enlarger. The Nikkor f4 is more than capable at 35mm in my opinion. I agree with the comments by Nicklaus FWIW to you. Enjoy the lens you have and the prints it will create with your guidance and control.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin