Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,813   Online: 747

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    35mm RF
    thanx Jim and John, got an f4 50mm yesterday and a new nikkor 75mm two days ago locally-Someone had brought the 75mm as a gift for the sellor, however no one knew it was an an enlarger lens hence it was listed wrong therefore i got for a bargain etc,etc, .Yeah it is not as though i`ve got a gallery showing coming up in the future so the f4 will be fine for 35mm and 75 for 120 ,as a start at leas. They will certainly be superior to what i was using previously. Once i`ve gone as far as i can with this then i may become a German optics guy also, cheers and regards

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The other thing is that unless you want big enlargements, you can use the 75 to print from 35mm film. The working height will be greater and the max enlargement (function of your enlarger column height) reduced, but you will be working within the sweet spot of the lens.

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    There is the old Nikon 50mm f/2.8 and the new 50mm f/2.8N. They have a different optical design and a different diameter.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/im...kkor/n09_e.htm
    Regards,
    Andreas

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
    thanx Jim and John, got an f4 50mm yesterday and a new nikkor 75mm two days ago locally-Someone had brought the 75mm as a gift for the sellor, however no one knew it was an an enlarger lens hence it was listed wrong therefore i got for a bargain etc,etc, .Yeah it is not as though i`ve got a gallery showing coming up in the future so the f4 will be fine for 35mm and 75 for 120 ,as a start at leas. They will certainly be superior to what i was using previously. Once i`ve gone as far as i can with this then i may become a German optics guy also, cheers and regards
    Well, when you get the 2.8/50 next month, you'll be able to compare. Compare them at f/4 and at f/8. There should be a clear difference in the corners wide open and very little difference at the working apertures.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
    ...got...a new nikkor 75mm two days ago...
    When Bob Mitchell tested many enlarging lenses for Darkroom Techniques magazine years ago, the 75mm El-Nikkor center performance was up at 80 lp/mm. I have one for those rare occasions when I make a print from 35mm negatives. As long as you're not enlarging so big as to run out of column, it's an ideal lens for this purpose.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    sadly, 4/75 EL Nikkor is inferior compared to both 5.6/80 and 2.8/50 EL Nikkors....
    nowadays, I'm using the 2.8/63 EL Nikkor bought for 50$ (incl. shipping & original box) for 35mm negatives and I feel really satisfied

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have used both the Nikkor 50/f2.8 and 50/f4

The 50/f4 is a nice lens and for 10x8 prints produces prints that are indistinguishable from the 50/f2.8

However, at sizes of 12x16 and above, the 50/f2.8 really shows its colours and produces some stunningly sharp and high contrast images, while sadly the f4 started to go soft, most noticeably in the corners

I would buy the f2.8 every time over the f4

The Enlarging Lens is a key component in your photographic system - all your images go through that one lens - buy the best you can afford

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The 50mm 2.8 El-Nikkor is clearly the superior lens over the 50mm 4.0. With the huge excess of used 2.8 lenses on the market these days, the 2.8 is often cheaper than the 4.0 [for no rational reason]. For prints up to 8x10, buy whichever is presented when you need it, at the best price. If you want to do excellent prints, full frame, larger than 8x10, buy the 2.8. [The same argument can be made about your 75mm 4.0. It was made to sell as low-cost alternative to the standard El-Nikkor lenses. Today's bargains may justfy an upgrade.]

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Exellent, thanks all,10 x 8 is probably as large as i will be going for a while so i`m happy with setup for now, it is always for now though is`nt it?
    Obviously i am aware that a 6 element f2.8 lens will be a better performer-at times, over 4 element f4,
    Threre must be a lift in interest with enlarging at the moment because the auction prices lately do not reflect the range of prices quoted in this thread, somehow i manage to get cameras/lens at a happy price[and they all work] no luck with the really good enlarger lens so far, regards

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin