Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,496   Posts: 1,543,045   Online: 868

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    From the center of the 20x24 easel to the top edge it is 13 inches (it is 26 inches from front to back).

Thanks for checking that for me!

I've just seen on Ebay here locally a Beseler 45MXII Enlarger with Dichro 45 Computerized Color Head..... wondering if that might do it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    From the center of the 20x24 easel to the top edge it is 13 inches (it is 26 inches from front to back).

Thanks for checking that for me!

I've just seen on Ebay here locally a Beseler 45MXII Enlarger with Dichro 45 Computerized Color Head..... wondering if that might do it.
    I'll check my enlarger.

In terms of the Beseler, if its a good deal, just get it and get a different easel if needed. That is a good enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can you reverse mount the head on your M-605? I could do that with the M-601 and project onto the floor for 16x20 and up. Make sure you put loads of weight on the baseboard if you try this.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    I know about floor & wall projection quite well, but I cannot do either, space & layout of the darkroom doesn't really permit. My only option is to go up

You know, I might only ever do 16x20, but even if I only ever go that big I sure would like to use this new easel, it really is quite an incredible thing. The upshot is I want an enlarger that will take this easel on the baseboard without problems. If I can't then it becomes a convesation piece, and I then have to go find & spend a fortune on a 16x20 easel to be able to print that big on the M605. Looks like it'll go that way.

Sorry, thinking out loud!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Large 4 blade easels can bring $$ on e-bay.

Shooter
    35mm
    The problem is, 4-blade easels rarely come up for sale in Australia. You really have to be watching Ebay all the time. This GIANT Saunders I have just acquired, for a song I might add, popped up all of a sudden here in Melbourne with just a couple of days to go before auction end. Nobody else bid, and I got it for starting price. Couldn't believe my luck, nor could the seller quite believe his! It really is a big beautiful easel, the whole thing is black, very straight & true blades, perfectly flat, paper grooves for every size, blades move effortlessly & precisely by turning the 4 knobs.... you can see why I want to use it. On the other hand, my much smaller (30x40cm) 4-blade Saunders easel was bought from an Ebay seller in New York, and while it was kind of a bargain, the shipping charges put paid to that. I'd say almost 95% of the time that the only way to get yourself a decent 4-blade easel (Saunders or something) here in Australia is to get it sent from the USA, but it'll cost you. They rarely come up 2nd-hand here, but for a small fortune you can get a new LPL or some other kind from the stores here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One way for you to go "up" is to find an Omega B-66XL(or any other "XL" model) The XL stands for extended length on the column. The added height should allow you 20x24 inch enlargements without reversing the head or wall mounting.

Rick

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, looks like it..... who in Australia's got one???

Shooter
    35mm
    And talking about selling easels on Ebay, I run the risk of selling it for $50, like how much I paid for it. Then again, it might go for $350. That's Ebay. But, you know, I like it, and whether or not I can actually use it I reckon I'll keep it.

Unless I'm made an offer I can't refuse.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I am pretty sure I have reversed the column on a 605 (turn head and column through 180deg), put some serious weights on the baseboard, placed the whole thing on the very edge of a table and projected onto the floor

Worked fine - but is hard on the knees.

It helps a lot to have a friend give you a hand with reversing the head and column - they are surprisingly unwieldy but is otherwise fairly straight forward

The biggest problems I had were :-

Low levels of illumination at 20x24 from a 35mm Neg - had to turn the safelight off to clearly see the image

A long stretch to focus the image

Very long Exposure times - do stop the lens down at least one stop - it improves the sharpness considerably and sharpness (or lack of it) is highlighted most clearly in BIG prints

Alternative to floor projection is to just turn the whole head 90deg and project on to a wall

The three problems I highlighted will still be true but it’s easier on the knees.

The upside of big prints is dodging is much easier to do - you have more space to play with and more time to do it

Have fun

Martin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin