Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,655   Online: 899

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Again, I really don't have room to do floor projection. My darkroom is also my kitchen (not that I use it much for cooking mind you, but a kitchen makes the perfect darkroom if there's nobody else to disturb), there's only room for me to stand there between the enlarger & the stove! The easel would not fit there on the floor. Maybe it would fit there snugly, but I'd have to literally be stepping over it. No, my only option is to go UP. So, I'll keep my eye out for something like an Omega D5-XL.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    On the Omega D5500, set up to make a 16x20 from 4x5 with a 150mm lens, I measure 16" between the center of the projected image and the column. So, based on that your easel would fit just fine. I suspect a D5-XL would have a similar or identical forward slant to the column.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you for looking at that for me!

While I think about it, I SHOULD be able to use this easel straight up with a DURST Laborator 1200, shouldn't I? I'm thinking it might be a little easier to find one of those than any Omega etc around these parts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Laborator 1200 has a straight column, but even the forward slant on the Omega is small. The major factor is how far out the lens is mounted from the column. I'll bet that Durst would be OK with you easel.

Shooter
    35mm
    I thought of the Laborator 1200 because they're relatively plentiful & they are a serious lab enlarger that would've been doing big stuff.... but yes, remains to be seen if it comes out far enough away from the column.... though in theory it should come out a lot further than it does on the M605, huh? Enough to do 16x20 at least. Surely. The weight of it might buckle my bench legs! I'm wondering if filter fading over time is really a serious consideration.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If someone can show me a picture of a dichroic filter 'faded' in the area that is in the light path, and not faded in the area where it is held in the enlarger, I'll write it up in a scientific journal!

Likewise I'll gladly accept anyone's 'faded' dichroic filters that are headed for the trash.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    I thought of the Laborator 1200 because they're relatively plentiful & they are a serious lab enlarger that would've been doing big stuff.... but yes, remains to be seen if it comes out far enough away from the column.... though in theory it should come out a lot further than it does on the M605, huh? Enough to do 16x20 at least. Surely. The weight of it might buckle my bench legs! I'm wondering if filter fading over time is really a serious consideration.
    Durst L1200 in a small kitchen? Do you have any idea how big this enlarger is? That won't work. Also, any idea how heavy the L1200 is? How are you going to move it in and out of the kitchen every time? That will get old, real fast.

Find a way to mount your enlarger to the wall and remove it when you move out. Patching up a few holes in the wall is no big deal. Wall mounting is the way to go anyway.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Durst Ce1000 (4x5) mounted on a roller cart. The cart is framed with 2x4 lumber and the sides and bottom are 5/8" mdf. The cart is 19" high and the baseboard is screwed to it. At max height, the top of the head is 78" off the floor and the lens center is approx 10.5" from the face of the column. A Saunders 16x20 4 blade works fine. A 20x24 wouldn't due to the width of the blade against the column. It is also dead easy to move it around on one floor, forget stairs.

A D5XL column is approx 53" long and gives something close to 20" from the lens center to the base of the column with the head at the top.
    I've got one that is destined for the recycling depot as it isn't worth rebuilding(worn out focusing rails).

Shooter
    35mm
    The kitchen is permanently set up as a darkroom, there's no moving in & out of any equipment.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gamincurieux View Post
    The kitchen is permanently set up as a darkroom, there's no moving in & out of any equipment.
    OK

One more reason to mount the enlarger to the wall, but make sure to keep chemicals and food well away from each other.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin