Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,521   Posts: 1,572,233   Online: 838

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

AN glass goes only on top side. Bottom is clear or no glass. All my Leica enlargers have AN top and I can not see a difference if I print with a glassless except for corners going out of focus because the neg is not flat.

Plain glass on the bottom does not make a difference.

Now 4x5 is even less magnification so there is no chance of seeing anything. My 4x5 carrieres are AN top only, plain glass bottom, or glassless.

NEVER use AN on the bottom. Guaranteed you will see it big time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Except that Howard Bond used AN glass for both the bottom and top glass plates in his enlarger, since some of the newer films have very shiny emulations, which can lead to Newton's rings. He has fairly high standards for image sharpness That said, AN glass varies in quality, and large enlargements are more likely to show up issues than small ones.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    AN glass goes only on top side. Bottom is clear or no glass. All my Leica enlargers have AN top and I can not see a difference if I print with a glassless except for corners going out of focus because the neg is not flat.

Plain glass on the bottom does not make a difference.

Now 4x5 is even less magnification so there is no chance of seeing anything. My 4x5 carrieres are AN top only, plain glass bottom, or glassless.

NEVER use AN on the bottom. Guaranteed you will see it big time.
    It's counter-intuitive, but bottom AN glass, at least Durst AN glass in a condenser enlarger, will have no visible effect an any enlargement and is, in my experience a necessity for TMX. As I said before, this is something I extensively tested.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If you live in a climate where you're likely to have Newtons Rings - then you don't have much choice - either get some AN Glass or give up printing for those months when you are likely to encounter the problem

What is a climate likely to induce newton rings please? I have not read this in my research to date, regards

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
    Except that Howard Bond used AN glass for both the bottom and top glass plates in his enlarger, since some of the newer films have very shiny emulations, which can lead to Newton's rings. He has fairly high standards for image sharpness That said, AN glass varies in quality, and large enlargements are more likely to show up issues than small ones.
    Peter

Keep in mind that Howard Bond only works in LF. At his magnifications, you would not see the AN glass texture anyway. Also, there is AN glass, and there is AN glass.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Dow View Post
    It's counter-intuitive, but bottom AN glass, at least Durst AN glass in a condenser enlarger, will have no visible effect an any enlargement and is, in my experience a necessity for TMX. As I said before, this is something I extensively tested.
    For 35mm and even MF, are you not better of leaving the bottom glass out altogether?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pakeha View Post
    If you live in a climate where you're likely to have Newtons Rings - then you don't have much choice - either get some AN Glass or give up printing for those months when you are likely to encounter the problem

What is a climate likely to induce newton rings please? I have not read this in my research to date, regards
    Cool and damp/wet ambient conditions

The UK and Ireland are great places to get Newtons Rings, particularly in the Winter months

If you don't live in such Climatic conditions (a cool temperate ambient close to an ocean with predominantly on-shore winds that have travelled extensively over water) then you would be understandably (and luckily) unaware of the problem

I would presume Norway, Seattle and Vancouver would be similarly affected.

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    Cool and damp/wet ambient conditions

The UK and Ireland are great places to get Newtons Rings, particularly in the Winter months

If you don't live in such Climatic conditions (a cool temperate ambient close to an ocean with predominantly on-shore winds that have travelled extensively over water) then you would be understandably (and luckily) unaware of the problem

I would presume Norway, Seattle and Vancouver would be similarly affected.

Martin
    I thought it was the other way around. Newton rings form in too dry conditions and a humidifier actually helps. Have I gotten this wrong?

Dry would explain the winter months!
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    For 35mm and even MF, are you not better of leaving the bottom glass out altogether?
    I agree.

Shooter
    35mm
    Why glass in the first place, with smaller formats? There seems to be plenty of dof on the enlarger at f/8 or so with smaller formats, and 4x5 seems to stay perfectly flat under its own stiffness. Are you all making big prints that necessitate large apertures or glass to prevent the negative from warping?
    f/22 and be there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin