Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,565   Posts: 1,545,319   Online: 891

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

anti Newton Glass

Does the Durst style of anti newton glass for the neg carrier really spoil the image quality or is it a myth?
    Thanks
    Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm not sure about Durst AN Glass but the effect of Newtons Rings on a print is cirtain - it goes in the bin

If you live in a climate where you're likely to have Newtons Rings - then you don't have much choice - either get some AN Glass or give up printing for those months when you are likely to encounter the problem.

I have never been able to see the effct of AN Glass on my prints but some others say they can tell

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never heard that.
    I have 4 glass carriers:

1 8x10 with Durst AN glass
    1 4x5 with Omega AN glass
    1 4x5 with "Focal Point" AN glass
    1 6x7 with Omega AN glass

There is no noticable difference in the prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have printed 6x12cm images with my durst with anti-newton glass and haven't experienced any problems. Likewise I haven't heard that one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    AN glass can really show up when you put the negative in upside down with the emulsion up against it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    My enlarger is a Durst L1200. When I was working with TMX, I noticed that the emulsion side is smooth enough to produce newton rings. I mentioned this to a very knowledgeable friend who managed a high-end custom lab. He said they use AN glass top and bottom for TMX and assured me the bottom sheet of AN glass was quite invisible. I couldn't believe him and tried to prove him wrong. Making careful comparison prints (AN top glass + AN bottom glass, clear bottom glass, or no bottom glass) the only visible difference among the three conditions was newton rings when the bottom glass was clear. No difference in contrast. No visible difference in texture, even at high magnification. One of my test negatives was a 6x9 inch exposure of clear blue sky. At the maximum magnification my enlarger is capable of with a 135mm lens there was still no hint of AN glass texture visible in the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    BTW: my remarks were with respect to projection printing with diffuse light. Those people using condenser and point source enlargers may have a different experience with double or single AN glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    BTW: my remarks were with respect to projection printing with diffuse light. Those people using condenser and point source enlargers may have a different experience with double or single AN glass.
    My results, by the way, were with the standard Durst condensers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Dow View Post
    My results, by the way, were with the standard Durst condensers.
    Thanks for pointing that out. I have not printed with a condenser enlarger since 1974, but I will be setting up an Omega D3 Condenser for a friend this week. He says it came with a glass carrrier, so we will plan on using that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
    Does the Durst style of anti newton glass for the neg carrier really spoil the image quality or is it a myth?
    Thanks
    Dave
    Properly used, AN glass does not affect the image at all.

The AN glass goes on top of the negative, AN side down.
    Negative below, emulsion-side down.
    Regular glass below the negative is optional (improves flatness) but is not recommended with very smooth emulsions, such as Tmax.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin