Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,909   Posts: 1,521,566   Online: 788

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Saunders, Dunco, Beard, which easel should I take?

As I am in the market for a good quality easel, I have searched the forum about easels, but it seems the latest discussions are somewhat dated now.
    Currently I use a 4-bladed Leitz 10x12 for smaller prints and a 2-bladed LPL 12x16 for bigger prints. I seldom make bigger prints than 12x16 (30x40cm). It's the LPL I want to replace as it prevents me from making prints with large borders, and also, mechanically it isn't the most sophisticated part of my darkroom.
    After some internet searching, I narrowed my choice down to a Saunders 12x16 V-track, a Beard or a Dunco 90/4 Pro 30x40. It seems however that from this trio only the Dunco is still in production, the Beard or Saunders I would have to buy used, and from what I have seen they are not readily available and go for salted prices. But still, about half of what you pay for a new Dunco which costs EUR 489,- in Germany (Phototec).
    Another point I am not sure of is whether I shoud by a 16x20 instead of a 12x16, as I am a medium format worker on 4.5x6 film. These negatives are projected in portrait format on the ground board and a bigger easel maybe would give greater flexibility in placing the paper. OTOH it might become unwieldy and heavy. More expensive too.
    I suppose I would have to limit my choice of used or new easels to the European countries, as the transport from the US to Holland where I am based, would be expensive and risky.
    Any thoughts on my dilemmas would be greatly appreciated.
    Hans
    Have you seen the light..?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't the Suanders a LPL? I forget.

I have a beard two blade and it's heavier then me and better built. But no longer in production. So the condition of any used one you find will be an issue.

BTW these things are HEAVY. I paid more to ship the thing then the item cost used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've got an older version of the Saunders range; it's built like a tank.
    I picked it up used off E*** - way too expensive when they were available new, so that was my only alternative.

I had mine shipped to Australia from the US - ended up costing me about $195 from memory which was very acceptable compared to buying it new in Australia or elsewhere.

Guess it comes down to how much you are prepared to spend and the condition of a used one should that be the way you decide to go. But the USD is weakening against many currencies, so you could get yourself a very good deal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use a Beard two blade as that's what we used in all the pro labs I've worked at. I find it suberb, it's very heavy - especially the 20"x16" that I have. Can't comment on the others as I've never tried them. Not sure where you'd find a decent one now though as, has been already said, they're no longer in production.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd get a Kaiser. I want one but there no used ones in the US. I had to hunt for a reasonably long time for a 11x14 Saunders V-track. It's certainly nice, but I can only imagine what a 12x16" one would cost used (which I've never seen).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you considered a 4 Blade Kaiser ? - http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1023

I have a 20x16 4 Blade Kasier - its very user friendly with a nice lifting mechanism and paper clamp but it is heavy

Every time this sort of discussion comes up, people always say that the Beard Easels are the best - but people always advocate the equipment they own

I am not sure there is a "best" easel – just like there is no “best” camera - most 4 blades are very good - if you find one that you like and it feels right then buy it and use it to produce great work.

Buying an Easel for paper sizes that you might very occasionally use - they just a great deal more expensive, heavier and less manoeuvrable for 99% of the time

I have done 20x24 prints straight onto my Enlargers Baseboard (which is easily large enough) using loops of masking tape to keep the paper flat and pencil lines for paper alignment - not as easy as an Easel but OK for occasional use plus not havening to spend an extra 200+Euros

Have you checked out this thread - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...y-can-buy.html

Martin

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Anothe candidate?

Thanks sofar. In the meantime, doing some more internet searching, I have come across the Versamask system, which consists of a stable baseplate and fixed size laser-cut metal masks. I think it is quite interesting as it seems to guarantee right angles, is simple to use and has no movable bands that can go out of whack. Moreover it is still in production, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg as long as you dont order non-standard masks and are prepared to limit yourself to a few standard image sizes. Does anybody know this system or has experience with it?
    Hans

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Aislabie View Post
    ....Have you considered a 4 Blade Kaiser ? - http://www.silverprint.co.uk/Product...asp?PrGrp=1023....

....but people always advocate the equipment they own....

....Buying an Easel for paper sizes that you might very occasionally use - they just a great deal more expensive, heavier and less manoeuvrable for 99% of the time.....

....I have done 20x24 prints straight onto my Enlargers Baseboard (which is easily large enough) using loops of masking tape to keep the paper flat and pencil lines for paper alignment - not as easy as an Easel but OK for occasional use plus not havening to spend an extra 200+Euros.....

....Have you checked out this thread - http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/6...y-can-buy.html.....
    Martin
    Martin,
    I agree with the points you made. I also checked out the thread you mentioned and the Kaiser on Silverprint and it seems very nice (exept for the price, that is..). I think I'll stick to 14x17 and improvise for bigger prints. But also see my point about the Versamask system.
    Hans

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah the Versamask looks cool too. I'd be all over it but I don't think anyone carries it in the US.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by hadeer View Post
    Thanks sofar. In the meantime, doing some more internet searching, I have come across the Versamask system, which consists of a stable baseplate and fixed size laser-cut metal masks. I think it is quite interesting as it seems to guarantee right angles, is simple to use and has no movable bands that can go out of whack. Moreover it is still in production, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg as long as you dont order non-standard masks and are prepared to limit yourself to a few standard image sizes. Does anybody know this system or has experience with it?
    Hans
    Interesting

Good if you only need a few specific frame sizes

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin