Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,633   Online: 1321

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anscojohn View Post
    put a cross-hairs around it with white tape or some such.

I do not understand this, but would like to.
    Dear Anscojohn,
    Could you please explain this a bit (in simple English)?
    Thank you,
    Philippe
    "...If you can not stand the rustle of the leafs, then do not go in to the woods..."
    (freely translated quote by Guido Gezelle)

PS: English is only my third language, please do forgive me my sloppy grammar...

Shooter
    35mm
    I agree with dancqu.

Project the rectangular, focused image of my empty negative carrier onto the easel to a size of about 8x10. Get a single piece of 8 1/2 x 11 student graph paper, 4 or more lines to the inch, and place it on the easel or baseboard. Rotate the carrier or the paper so that one edge of the projected image is perfectly aligned with a line on the paper. The opposite edge of the image should be perfectly parallel to a line at the opposite end of the paper; adjust the enlarger accordingly. Repeat for the other dimension of the carrier. My enlarger needed only a slight adjustment.

Best regards,

Dave

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have to admit the Versalab is expensive, but I have to align 18 enlargers at two different schools, so I love how easy and quick it is to use.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteZ8 View Post
    Pure genius.

What about, a negative, with several very sharp lines across it? A few thin pencil lines on plain paper, photographed from a tripod/copy stand with a small aperature for good DOF (in case your camera isn't perfectly aligned, either) should generate a good target image.

Project that negative onto the easel and use a grain focuser to check edge-edge sharpness.
    A piece of clear film lightly sanded with fine and course sandpaper makes a good and convenient alignment target for condenser enlargers. I suppose it will also work on diffusion enlargers. After all, the objective of alignment is to project the negative onto the easel with all four corners sharp. Why use more sophisticated systems that merely help one to get negative, lens mount, and easel parallel?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leicam5 View Post
    Dear Anscojohn,
    Could you please explain this a bit (in simple English)?
    Thank you,
    Philippe
    I have and use the same system, so perhaps I can explain it better.
    And for non-native English speakers, the photos should also help

In short, you have two mirrors, and on one (smaller) you scrape (remove) some silvering, so that you can see through the small hole you made (basically, you remove reflective surface in a small circle). Then you draw a target on the reflective surface AROUND that hole. The hole can be physical (drilled in the mirror), or you can just scrape (remove) silver reflective surface, without drilling the glass.

The photos should make everything much clearer...

My system has a DRILLED hole, with target around it, but you can also just remove the silver reflective surface, like I said. Then draw a target around the hole - either directly on the glass (like I did on mine), or first tape some clear sticky tape around the hole, and draw the target on that (if you don't have a pen that can write on glass...).

Let me know if you need additional explanations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mirr-small1.JPG   mirr-small-detail.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm also not satisified with just the laser/mirror alignment. I always double check with the grain focuser on the corners vs center.
    Realize that the grain focuser that can see the edges will set you back an additional $250.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dennis P,
    Thanks for the pictures. With that and going back to Nicholas Lindan's expositon I understand. But, if the graph paper or the carpenter's square works, I guess I would consider using it.
    Zone VI recommends a sheet of double-thick plane glass and two brand new pencils. Put the glass in the carrier. Bring it down to the level of one pencil on one side. The other pencil should fit exactly the same way. I have not tried it.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys and your small stuff. Try aligning a 1200 lb. enlarger that will enlarge a 30" x 48" negative onto a 88" x 192" vacuum easel with a 50' track and then adjust the lightsource accurate to 1/10th stop over the whole area.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Didn't know they made 30x48 negs, Richard...what, did you draw the short straw for that assignment?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No I had a business catering to silk screen printers, architects, cartographers, and the display industry. Large negatives like that were primarily halftone.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin