Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,449   Online: 973

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Aligning an Enlarger

I've been searching the web for enlarging aligning tools, and I think I've narrowed it down to two products: The Versalab Parallel ( http://www.versalab.com/server/photo...s/parallel.htm ) and the Zig-Align ( http://www.zig-align.com/index.htm ).

Right now, I'm thinking of going with the Zig-Align, but both seem pretty accurate. If anyone has any experience with the Versalab or the Zig-Align, please enlighten me.
    "I have captured the light and arrested its flight! The sun itself shall draw my pictures!"

-Louis Daguerre, 1839-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Get the versalab and don't look back. The laser is the best way.
    Last edited by patrickjames; 10-23-2009 at 10:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the Versalab. It's great.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hard to stomach the cost of a Versalab, but it is the way to go.

Instead of a blind print exchange, APUG should have a Versalab loaner program and a lens rental program.
    Jerold Harter MD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are on a budget, the two mirror technique works as well as any other, though it can be a real eye-strainer and back-breaker. Have the hardware store cut two 2" strips from a 12x12" mirror tile. Scratch a hole in the silvering at 1" from the end of one mirror and put a cross-hairs around it with white tape or some such. The tile without the hole is on the easel, the one with the hole is either where the negative carrier should go or held against the lens flange, silver side down. Look through the hole and adjust the enlarger so the reflected image of the cross-hairs lines up with itself.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    put a cross-hairs around it with white tape or some such.

I do not understand this, but would like to.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    If you are on a budget, the two mirror technique works as well as any other, though it can be a real eye-strainer and back-breaker. Have the hardware store cut two 2" strips from a 12x12" mirror tile. Scratch a hole in the silvering at 1" from the end of one mirror and put a cross-hairs around it with white tape or some such. The tile without the hole is on the easel, the one with the hole is either where the negative carrier should go or held against the lens flange, silver side down. Look through the hole and adjust the enlarger so the reflected image of the cross-hairs lines up with itself.
    Pure genius.

What about, a negative, with several very sharp lines across it? A few thin pencil lines on plain paper, photographed from a tripod/copy stand with a small aperature for good DOF (in case your camera isn't perfectly aligned, either) should generate a good target image.

Project that negative onto the easel and use a grain focuser to check edge-edge sharpness.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Existing Light,

I've used both types and I prefer the Versalab. The Zig-Align is a great product and the one with the multiple LEDs is probably better at squeezing out the most perfect alignment but the Versalab is so quick and easy to use I find I bring it out any time I want to touch up the alignment for a print.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format

A Real World Test For Alignment

Real world because the test is performed upon
    a projected image.

All that is needed is a square. The image projected
    can derive from the negative carrier itself or some
    negative.

If the source is truly rectangular and the image
    projected is a true representation of the source
    the enlarger is aligned.

If you've a square you're ready to check the
    enlargers alignment or perform an
    alignment. Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    just to confuse things, there is also the clever little aligning level manufactured by Harry at classic-enlargers.com.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin