Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,499   Posts: 1,543,155   Online: 1054

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

How long will Dektol last?

I mixed my Dektol last winter and have not tried to print anything all summer. I am going to print some in the next couple of days and I was wondering how long Dektol stock will last? What is the normal color for Dektol?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Images
    Good Evening, Stradibarrious,

Kodak says that Dektol is good for about six months in a completely full container. Dektol is clear when fresh; it gradually changes to yellowish. then dark yellow, then reddish-brown as it ages.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If not a full bottle, 2 months. Unless yours was in one of those accordion style bottles I don't think it is any good.
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, replace it. It's not worth the grief of starting a printing session and finding out it doesn't work.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That is what I will do, I just didn't want to throw out 2 liters without asking first.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try using some. If the image comes up quickly in the tray, it may very well be okay.

Make sure that you complete your development procedure with your test print, and then examine it carefully for mottling or other signs of uneven development.

Even if it works fine with your test, it may have reduced capacity, so make sure to keep inspecting your prints as your printing session proceeds.

That being said, I would make a point of having some new Dektol available, so if the old stuff doesn't test correctly, you aren't stuck.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the bottle was full to the brim, it might be ok. I've seen dektol work until it was the color of weak coffee.
    But what the print looks like is the real determinate factor. The developer may well produce an image, but the blacks may not be what they should be. As suggested, you are probably better off dumping it.
    FWIW, in my experience, storage that long in an accordian bottle will guarantee that it is no good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Full to the brim and in glass (or PET...e.g. pop bottles)....it should be OK. FYI - I use a bunch of 1 liter glass bottles and chemicals seem to last much longer. When Dektol is fresh it is a very pale amber. I'd say give it a try if it isn't too discolored.

I'd also have to agree with bdial that it is probably no good if it is in an accordion bottle. They tend to trap bubbles in the folds and they are made from thin polyethylene which is quite gas permeable. A good free alternative to lab glass bottles (although they are cheap!) are 20 oz/500ml PET bottles. They are less gas permeable than polyethylene and much of the air can be squeezed out.
    Last edited by Mark Fisher; 11-01-2009 at 09:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How long will Dektol last? Based on recent Kodak history, I would say they will discontinue it in a couple of months. Ba dum bum cha! You have so many good answers, I had to blow it. Sorry.
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    May as well test it. Expose a piece of paper with a negative as you know it should develop (remake an old print, if you took notes) and if you get a good image you're good. If you get bad contrast then chuck it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin