Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,571   Posts: 1,545,610   Online: 979

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hahahaha....well my first print went a little better...hahaha

I did a safelight test as well today for 10mins and White so I think I, well at the moment like higher grades.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Congratulations, you never forget you're first print, like the first time you have sex.
    In no way can I remember my first print, but at least I now know I have SOMETHING to look forward to...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Congratulations, you never forget you're first print, like the first time you have sex.
    Ben

Please try to get out of the darkroom more often. Those odors have side effects.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RalphLambrecht View Post
    Ben

Please try to get out of the darkroom more often. Those odors have side effects.
    I don't think It's the darkroom Ralph, I haven't had one since we bought a smaller house after our children left home about fifteen years ago so I can't use that for an excuse
    Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Congrats!~ And Hi from Malaysia.
    Darkroom printing is a dying art in Malaysia.
    An old forum-er from a local forum conducted a printing workshop last week. And I was equally excited too when I did the first print.
    Priceless experience.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    Well its finally happened after months of getting equipment and reading I have done my first print....
    WOOHOO!!! Way to go!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    ... I set my enlarger so it was grade 2, printed it, and it all looked fine, then I wanted to see what grade 5 would look like so did that and there was so much life in the image ... Your own experiences and thoughts would be nice on this?
    Welcome to the expressive art of the darkroom. You'll notice that they really don't look like the same print at all. That's because they aren't the same print.

Don't be afraid to experiment, but also don't try to skip learning the craft.

Prints are not reality, although you can work hard to make them very 'realistic' looking. Or you can blow out an area of a print on purpose to create an alternate representation.

If you learn the craft, so that you can predictably alter the print how *YOU* choose rather than looking for lucky accidents, then you have a powerful tool.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    First i want to congratulate you. I've done my first print a short time ago and of course it's very excitting.

I hope you'll do a lot. Didi you have put somewhere your first try on the net ? Just to see the difference between your grade 2 & 5.

Congratulation

Quote Originally Posted by Romary View Post
    Recently in a workshop, the guy who was teaching asked us to do a little exercice.

Take a photo, find the set-up you like (e.g. grade 2, 16s). Then you print it with the same picture with the same time minus a grade (#2, 16 s) and plus a grade (#3, 16 s). You do the same minus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 11.3 s) and plus half a stop (#1, #2, #3, 22.6 s). You end up with 9 photos. After drying put them by order (3x3, the first one in the middle) and immediatly you understand the possibilities of modifying the set-up.

I have hanged my 9 photos in my lab, and I still discover new things on them. That does not take longue to do it.

I hope my English was clear enough
    Romary,

It seems to be a very interesting experience and i think i will do it.

But, i've just a question, how do you calculate the duration of one stop ? For example, if i'm at 20s. and wants to do like you how i can calculate the others times ?

Thanks for your help

++

Oscura

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My first print was black. So possible you are a natural talent!

could you post them here?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    hahahahahaha......ok so was mine! it was A6 and black so I guess I should say my first time in my own or any darkroom Here is a link

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...&cutoffdate=-1

IF YOU NEED 5 TO GET A GOOD PRINT, the neg is too low a contrast. Increase development time 20%.

Try a nice pic first that has full tones from black to white first. If that looks good on 2, do not change anything.

If you had a low contrast neg or subject, it is normal that higher contrast paper is required.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin